Do chickens eat their chicks?

• 8 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Do chickens eat their chicks?
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:33 »
Have just had the most horrible discovery. 

We've been allowing our chicken to brood some eggs.  She's been on two lots now because the first clutch wasn't fertile so she's been sitting for a month now.  The second lot (just 2 eggs) were very fertile and due to hatch yesterday but on Wednesday I went out for the day and came back to find her sat in the other nesting box and the eggs very cold on their own.  This isn't the first time this has happened as she gets confused easily but usually I'm around to put her back in the right place.  Since then I've boxed off the nest box so she can't go anywhere except there.

I wasn't sure whether anything would happen but my daughter came running shouting this morning @ 7am to say there was an egg all cracked.  We had a peep but didn't stay long enough to see anything.  Anyway I always feed them at 9am and she comes off to have something to eat so this was a good chance to have a good look and imagine my horror when I only saw one egg!  I rumaged and rumaged but couldn't find ANYTHING else.  The only thing I did find was some blooded slime in the corner of the nest box.

So the only think I can think is that she's eaten it!!!!   :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :( :( :(
Is this possible?  Do I leave the other egg in there (there's no sign of anything happening with it, although I guess I could candle it).

I can't bear to think what I'm going to say to my daughter when she gets home from school.  She's gone off so excited.  :( :(

Foxy

Re: Do chickens eat their chicks?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:50 »
It maybe there was a problem with the eggs or chicks and she knew. Saying that, it doesn't sound like she is a very good broody and wouldn't use her again Im afraid. :(

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:39 »
Can the other hens get to her?  Could they have done it or upset her?

Sarah :)

brenda

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:54 »
Hi
poor you!
 In my experience once the eggs have got very cold they won't hatch out.
She might of ate it, hens will eat anything!
Brenda

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58 »
Hi there

Thanks for this.  No when hatching was due I made it so that she couldn't get out and they couldn't get in!

Believe me foxy I'm in no mind to repeat this process with her!!!

Have gone to have a look and she's now rolled the remaining egg away from the nest box and is sitting on it in the main house, like she doesn't want to go back into the nest box.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:04 »
Maybe a small creature got in and ate her egg.  That could explain why she's moved away from the nest.
cathangirl

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 18:54 »
It's all a bit of a mystery because now I think of it.  When the first clutch failed we kept one egg that we weren't sure about and put it with the new lot then after a week that one completely disappeared.

Anyway the remaining egg today, I've candled and there's nothing moving so I'm feeling quite distressed by the whole thing.  Definitely don't want to repeat it.

But my friend has rung up today to see if I want some ducklings so it looks like I'm still going to be adding to my flock!  I must be mad!  :lol: :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 19:19 »
Not sure she is the right broody but my broody duck took really well to the foster ducklings I put with her when her own hatch failed. Lots of people use broody hens rather than ducks for ducklings as they are better mothers generally.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 20:41 »
No Kate, if we get the duckings I'm not going to put the broody anywhere near them.  I'll keep them seperate from the lot until they're big enough.  I have to admit the only time the broody came off her nest was to have some water and at the same time chase the other chicks around the run.  Perhaps I'm a bit to novice at this lark! :wub:

xx
When to introduce chicks to chickens?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 22:15
by Porffor
xx
Can I put chicks with adult chickens?

Started by essex57 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:16
by essex57
xx
Chicks Cheep - Chickens Cluck.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 10:56
by Fifitrix
xx
Sick Chickens passing on problems to unborn chicks

Started by bappleby3000 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 13:54
by Casey76

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 28 queries.