Free ranging chooks

• 7 Replies

sistersioux

Free ranging chooks
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:59 »
Hi, hope you can all help me as I'm new to chicken keeping.

I've got 4 chooks that are free ranging in my back garden. The garden is about 20 ft square with 5ft walls with a lovely area for my chooks to scratch around and they are very happy and laying every day but today a friend of mine has told me she thinks that legally they have to be kept a certain distance from the house, can anybody advise me on this?, I love having the girls come to the back door to talk to me!!!!

Foxy

Re: Free ranging chooks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06 »
Hi Sistersioux, I have never heard that! mine nip into the kitchen and pinch the cat food when my backs turned! :lol:

welcome to the forums! :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:36 »
If you had to keep chickens a certain distance from the house, then a lot of our chook keepers with handkerchief sized gardens would have to give their chooks up.

Perhaps you have to keep them a certain distance from someone else's house?  But I've never heard of it either.  Is your friend a chicken keeper?  does she know what she's talking about????    :)

sistersioux

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:39 »
Thanks for the help, yes she is a chicken keeper, that's why I got worried thought she might know what she was talking about but she keeps hers on an allotment.

Thought it was a bit silly but I'd better check, so many stupid rules these days!!

Thanks again

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 13:21 »
Well if you have a small garden, the only issue I would watch out for is probably vermin, mice/rats/smells and also flies can be irritating. However, by practising good husbandry (which I am sure you do! :D) there shouldn't really be a problem ;) :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 13:36 »
It might be that there's such a rule relating to livestock on her allotments, and that she assumes it applies in all situations.

Can't think of any specific law which might stipulate this distance; the only thing which might come into play in some situations would be terms of a tenancy if the place is rented.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 21:11 »
I checked with my local council (urban chook keeper) and no issues apart from roosters - not all are the same but... Of course if you want them to stay at the bottom of the garden, you'd best make it very clear to them that is where they are NOT allowed to go. Mrs Bruced's attempts to keep them of our terrace keep getting defiant chicken stares in return and not a sign of moving. :mellow:

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 21:37 »
with the recent hot weather we've had our back door open all day every day, and spent all day every day shooing chickens out of the kitchen, if they get as far as the dining room i've had it, they race round and round the table and go every where except the door way, i've never heard of any laws stating how far from the house chickens should be kept, and neither have my hens...................

xx
free ranging

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 20:48
by rachelr
xx
Free Ranging??

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 20:28
by Lemon
xx
Help with free ranging

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 16:29
by nic_28
xx
free ranging

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:48
by wildeone

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 36 queries.