Sarpo potatoes

• 13 Replies

Jakell

Sarpo potatoes
« on: May 28, 2009, 20:29 »
 Due to a close shave with blight last year (I spotted it early and managed to get most of the crop in) I bought Sarpo Axona potatoes from Thompson and Morgan.
 They seem to be growing very slowly (but seem healthy) and seem quite a long way behind Desiree for instance, so slowly in fact that for the first time ever I have had to weed the potato patch as they are too small to earth up yet, which usually finishes off any weeds.

They are classed as a late maincrop which is a new classification to me. Anyone else experienced this slow growth?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sarpo potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 20:49 »
I've grown Sarpo Mira for the past few years.

As usual, the foliage is the shortest of all the maincrop, but  once it goes, it goes!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 21:24 »
Sarpo Axona for me too this yr - also a bit steady
Late maincrop just means they take that little bit longer - not all maincrop take the same length of time.
Look at Lady Balfour for example - some call them a late 2nd early and some call them an early maincrop
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Jakell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 21:41 »

As usual, the foliage is the shortest of all the maincrop, but  once it goes, it goes!

I take it you mean that after a slow start it eventually takes off, I was hoping this was the case as I know my soil is well composted.

I find the growth on desiree, for example, a little too vigourous. The haulms, though prolific, seem a little sappy and just waiting for some desease or pest to come along. The growth on these seems pretty sturdy

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 21:49 »
first time of trying and same for me - stocky but looking very good. I put mine in last of all so can be last out of the main crops if blight threatens.
R

Wombat

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 21:52 »
Sarpo Mira and well behind the others.  As with yours, also the most robust looking.

Jakell

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 22:06 »
first time of trying and same for me - stocky but looking very good. I put mine in last of all so can be last out of the main crops if blight threatens.
R

I haven't even considered the B word this year. I have heard that blight is almost non-existent with Sarpo, so much so that I may even save seed potatoes from this crop for next year, which is usually a no-no with me, unless I get leaf-curl, which, I assume will remain in the tubers.

I have heard that Sarpo can remain in the ground until very late in the year. This could not happen even if there was the slightest hint of blight susceptibility.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:50 »
If people are still reading this thread, just had a thought.

I remembered I took this photo a bit back, they've grown a bit since, but it illustrates the point well.

The nearest two rows are Sarpo Mira, then two rows of Picasso, one row of Ambo, one row of Kestrel & two rows of Charlotte.

The Sarpo were admittedly planted last, but not by much.

Disclaimer - the shed is on the next plot and is not mine.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 16:16 »
errrr what photo DD?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 16:28 »
It was just a test.

You people are getting slower. It took you over 8 hours to find that deliberate mistake.

Try this...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 17:22 »
It was just a test

:lol: :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 17:55 »
Glad you posted that DD - I was getting a bit worried about mine as they seem quite slow, but healthy!

Yabba

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 20:58 »
It was just a test.

You people are getting slower. It took you over 8 hours to find that deliberate mistake.

Thank god for that, I thought my morning coffee was to weak! ... Having said that ... You bum! I spent all day worrying about my morning coffee being to weak! :|

¥

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 16:44 »
Just to update,  3 weeks down the line, you can see how they've caught up. They make very tall weed supressing foliage & will overtake the others.

Then

Now

xx
Sarpo Potatoes

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 20:35
by Lulu
xx
Harvesting Sarpo Potatoes

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 17:28
by DD.
xx
sarpo mira potatoes

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 23:33
by Yorkie
xx
sarpo mira potatoes.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 11:45
by lettice

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 30 queries.