Bindweed... grrr

• 7 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Bindweed... grrr
« on: May 27, 2009, 23:21 »
It is driving me mad, i have handpicked  as much of it out but every time i go there is some more growing again... is there anything i can use that will kill it off without affecting my veg?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bindweed... grrr
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 23:23 »
The only organic way is to keep digging, or hoeing it off - assuming it's not practical to cover up the area. 

If that's not possible because it's too close to your veg, then try putting a cane into the soil for it to grow up, then paint some glyphosate-based weedkiller onto the leaves (spraying runs the risk of damaging your veggies) so that it kills it that way.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 23:31 »
I have bindweed all over my plot too but I've put beds in place which I keep hoed or hand pick the seedlings (I've come to recognise them coming up no ::))

I find that by sectioning areas off in beds it's easier to manage the weeds and bindweed comes up easily when pulled from a previously turned bed :)

Eventually you will get to a point where the weeds won't have the strength to come up after much hoe-ing and picking!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 23:52 »
Pernicious weed, I hate it too, even though it has a lovely flower, it's a lifelong battle to remove it. Glyphosphate is only effective in killing off the root if it is applied generally while the bindweed is flowering, hoeing and digging will eventually discourage the root so that it moves off and comes up somewhere else! Last year I had a lot of it in a spinnach bed so I cut off the bottoms of some plastic Coke/lemonade bottles and put them over the weed shoots, when the weed had reached the top I nuked it with 'Roundup' through the the bottle tops, no overspray and a dead weed.  Had a lot of enquiries about what was growing in my 'quaint greenhouses' and a few sniffs from the green wellies, but it worked for me.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 00:00 »
Nice one hightide.  I was going to say something similar.  I have sprayed glyphosate on what I thought was an individual weed and an area with a radius of around 10" died.
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 00:57 »
With you on that hightide and Ice. Just bought myself a handspray unit of glyphosphate to spot spray the now appearing bindweed. A close shot of the stuff right on the new young leaves will set it back a lot. When it appears again, another shot and soon I'll have it under control again. Every time I weed or rotovate my garden I spend a lot of time hand pulling the roots but they are so easy to miss, just one bit missed and you have a huge spread.  >:(

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28 »
I manage to keep on top of it on the plot but just collected another half a wheelie bin from the back garden - given up where its through the wire fence and brambles at the top end - some had leaves as big as plates :ohmy: still cant underdstand why next door thinks its ok to have it traling up his fence :mad: :mad:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 13:53 »
I use a parrafin 'flamethrower' - it's an ancient thing that you heat up first (like a primus stove). It is great fun and very satisfying heating up the base of the plants to kill them off Mwaahahahaha!  ::) Have to stay away from the dry stuff tho - don't want to start any fires! ::)

There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
grrr to organic lol ;-0

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 20:00
by Christine
xx
i am blinking mad grrr

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 20:46
by dexyblue
xx
I am very annoyed grrr

0 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 19:37
by pawsnclaws
xx
GRRR! Rust on my leeks!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 19:51
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.822 seconds with 29 queries.