Non flowering broad beans

• 6 Replies

boyleygod

Non flowering broad beans
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:07 »
Hi, I am a new member today and thrilled to be here.
Can someone help! I have planted a lot of broad beans. (Aquadulce Claudia) Firstly, some last Nov in my polytunnel, and then sequentially outside. The ones in the polytunnel have only produced two meals (for two) which I put down to not many having been pollinated, due of how early they were. However, the next two lines outside, planted out in Feb are looking very healthy, but only two or three plants have flowers on them, and not very many. I have another two lines planted March and April. Once again the plants look very healthy (planted in line with the biodynamic calender). My question is, shall I wait a bit longer to see if flowers will appear, although search as I might I cannot see a sign of any, or shall I admit defeat and pull them up while there is still just about time to plant some more? Is it possible that the seeds were sterile? I am so disappointed, I thought I'd done everything right and was looking forward to a bumper crop.......!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Non flowering broad beans
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:14 »
Broad beans are one of the easiest crops to grow but a picture of your plants would be useful.  Might help us to see what's wrong !

Seems you may need to bin that calendar  ;)

Debz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23 »
Mine don't have flowers either yet but I didn't plant them according to a calendar just according to the instructions on the packet.  I am quite happy to wait for a while yet because they are looking so fit and I figure it's early enough yet.

scotty

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29 »
i'm with Debz, given up getting impatient. just pleased that i have managed to grow somthing without killing it off yet!
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 15:09 »
The ones I sowed in march have only just started to flower. Patience grasshopper ;)

¥

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 15:20 »
Too much nitrogen can cause a lack of flowers.
Cheese makes everything better.

Oliver

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 18:53 »
..... The ones in the polytunnel have only produced two meals (for two) which I put down to not many having been pollinated, due of how early they were. !
you will not get many of anything that needs pollinating in a polytunnel unless you have some resident bees (or other such creatures) or are prepared to do the job yourself with a paintbrush! Plant your broadbeans (Aquadulce)  outside next year - they are designed to stand outside and bees etc will be glad of the grub in the Spring and do the pollinating for you.
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Broad Beans flowering

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 16:02
by chrisnchris
xx
Flowering broad beans?

Started by LJB12 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:22
by Handy Andi
xx
Broad Beans flowering already?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 08:01
by Salmo
xx
Broad beans flowering

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 09:47
by Njal

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 28 queries.