What can I sow?

• 4 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
What can I sow?
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:16 »
I've been that concerned about getting my allotment sorted, ie. getting shed up, greenhouse etc that I didn't realise the planting season is dissapearing.  I havn't got anything planted yet so this weekend I was gonna just do a bit digging just so I've got something growing. Probably just gonna have small plot dug so any ideas on what i should plant just so I've got something to harvest later on?  Is this time of year too late for certain vegetables etc?  Is it ok to sow a line of onions then a line of carrots etc, or should you keep everything seperate?

WG.

What can I sow?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:09 »
No panic IW - planting season is really only just starting.

Get your onions / shallots in first.

Interleaving rows does work but I'd advise against it until you have experience of spacing / sizes / seasons for the varieties selected.  IMHO it makes sowing, harvesting and especially weeding that little bit more difficult.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
What can I sow?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 21:42 »
Thanks mate. Anymore suggestions appreciated.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What can I sow?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 23:09 »
some people and books say you can intercrop carrots and onions so that cancel out each others fly menaces, but if you look on a crop rotation, carrots are roots and onions come under the same umbrella as legumes and 'others', so its awkward, but I tend not to plant them together.

Lat year, being clever, I tried to remember to plant successionally, so on each row of carrots, I planted half the row with carrots and the other half with parsnips, then a week later, did another row etc.  Only problem was, although I had more carrots than I did before, I only got about a dozen prasnips growing on an 8ft square piece of ground!!!!! lol

Annie

What can I sow?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 23:44 »
You can start just about anything in trays to go out later when the frost risk is over,direct you can sew broard beans ,peas,parsnip,carrots,radish,lettuce,spinach,onions,rocket..others will add  more.I`m not sure about direct planting into the greenhouse as ours has a concrete floor.

Page created in 0.59 seconds with 30 queries.