My potatoes are stressing me!!! arrrrrrh

• 9 Replies

greenbean

« on: April 04, 2007, 17:02 »
Deep breathes, count to ten, now I can explain!

Please let me know how long I'v got until my potatoes should be planted? They are worrying me as I wanted them in by now, went to plant them and after reading the instructions that came on the netting they were in I hadn't prepared a big enougth bed,so I had to spend planting time enlarging the bed and now I'm all stressed and in a muddle, I'v had my plot since Oct 06 and it was in a bad way but now all I have planted are onions and garlic, feeling now like I'm behind.

So this weekend I really need to plant pots, also parsnip seeds ( do I just put them straight in the soil?) and peas, am I too late?

Sorry to moan on as I am still new and learning, I so want to get it all right.
Thank-you. X

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 18:21 »
plant ya spuds this weekend . i sow snips straight to ground and will do it next week . peas can go in take care with  frosty nights cover them up with cloches .....happy now :lol: ?
still alive /............

ziggywigs

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 19:10 »
Don't panic.....just do what you can do.  Plants have a good habit of catching up.

As Munty says get ya tatties in this weekend and then just pace yourself with the rest.  :lol:

Being much further North i'm further behind that folk down Souff.

agapanthus

Re: My potatoes are stressing me!!! arrrrrrh
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 20:44 »
Quote from: "greenbean"
Deep breathes, count to ten, now I can explain!

Please let me know how long I'v got until my potatoes should be planted? They are worrying me as I wanted them in by now, went to plant them and after reading the instructions that came on the netting they were in I hadn't prepared a big enougth bed,so I had to spend planting time enlarging the bed and now I'm all stressed and in a muddle, I'v had my plot since Oct 06 and it was in a bad way but now all I have planted are onions and garlic, feeling now like I'm behind.

So this weekend I really need to plant pots, also parsnip seeds ( do I just put them straight in the soil?) and peas, am I too late?

Sorry to moan on as I am still new and learning, I so want to get it all right.
Thank-you. X

Don't worry Greenbean.....I hav'nt got all of mine in either. I'm hoping to put them where my psb is at the moment.....the only problem is that it's only now ready for it's 1st picking :?  :?  When I eventually get the potatoes in they have 2 chances!! :)

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 21:08 »
I haven't even cleared the space where the spuds are going in my garden yet.  I am digging out a plot but need to remove the turf first and resite it elsewhere to cover bare patches of lawn.  Hope I have enough space but suspect that I have over estimated the amount of produce that the plot can produce!  Time will tell, hopefull the spud plot will at least be cleared tomorrow if not dug over and spuds in teh ground for a few more days
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 21:08 »
plenty of time yet greenbean for spuds esp if main crop, my first earlies went in about 10 days ago, 2nd's tomorrow, and main crop in about another 10 days. No panic  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

greenbean

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 21:25 »
Thank-you for your reassuring replies, you have all helped to calm my stress levels down  :)  But now I have a new problem   :? after leaving my post I popped up my plot to do some more prep (digging!) to the bed where the pots are going and to my horror :evil:  I found some mouldy potatoes !!! does this mean that I can not now use this bed for potatoes again? Was going to look in my gardening books,but its so much nicer talking to you lovely lot  :)  You always make me feel much happier. X.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 21:32 »
Personally I would'nt bother too much. Everything rots down just probably means the last person who had your plot grew spuds there last. Just don't grow them there next year and manure well if you can, or use growmore, pelleted chicken manure etc.

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 21:35 »
I had a similar problem where, having dug over my potential spud bed and not noticing a thing, when I came to dig the trenches for them and having put in 43 of 44 seeds, I noticed a little sprouting spud that I hadn't seen.
I wasn't going to dig up and move the ones I had planted so I am just crossing My fingers!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

ziggywigs

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:01 »
It can take a couple of seasons to get your crop rotation going i have found.  It takes a bit longer to get to know your soil and your eco climate....but you'll get there.

Read the books, seek advice and  then find out what works for you....you'll find that in practice there's several different ways of doing things some will work and some will not.

So don't worry if spuds have been there before, just go for it and as already said then move them around for next year.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 19, 2018, 17:14
by victoria park

Page created in 0.946 seconds with 36 queries.