help with toms please

• 6 Replies

foster75

help with toms please
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:50 »
any ideas? they started well and have 5 toms on but the flowers have started dying with no fruit growing. they are in the conservatory and i started feeding once a week.

i've never grown anything before and have made a small veg patch in the garden so get ready for loads more questions

cheers
david
HPIM0330.JPG

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Re: help with toms please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:13 »
I expect the air is too dry and they are not getting pollinated.

Tap the plant as you go by to distribute the pollen, and it's also useful to spray with water so that the pollen can "fix" - don't do this in direct sunlight though, wait until evening.

Unless you are going to nip out the growing tips, they might want a larger pot, as they will get top heavy soon.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:24 »
I don't know what is causing your leaves to yellow like that. Possibly over or underwatering. They need to be in bigger pots or growbags in my opinion. I had some problems with mine last year setting fruit as we didn't have very many bees to help polinate them. So I went around with a paint brush and tickled each flower. I had to get right into the middle of the flowers to do this and if you go from flower to flower they should set some fruit in a few days. Do you know what variety they are?
Also I only feed mine every other week.  And they seem to do really well. I have mine in growbags outside. Our garden is fairly well protected though.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:12 »
I agree with the above comments.  The yellow leaves might be magnesium deficiency.  Try spraying with dilute epsom salts.
Cheese makes everything better.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:13 »
I'd nip off all the yellow leaves, get a bigger pot and repot that into it - using well rotted manure or growbag contents rather than compost; and then every day tap the cane to distribute the pollen. Keep feeding once a week but give them a seaweed perk a few days after repotting

GillyHen

• Not far enough from the madding crowd
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 12:37 »
They need planted on and also some of those leaves/flowers need nipped out/cut back.

GillyHen

• Not far enough from the madding crowd

question
How many toms' in an 8x4 GH?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 14:02
by 8doubles
xx
Too many toms?

Started by cabbagehead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 07:06
by cabbagehead
xx
Toms

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 18:22
by Dantheman
xx
Which Toms ?

Started by Dill The Dog on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 13:09
by digalotty

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 32 queries.