? Mycoplasma - Urgent Help Please

• 15 Replies

keepers_cottage

? Mycoplasma - Urgent Help Please
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:32 »
Hi All.

Had my bluebell chucks for 3 weeks now and going great until this morning.

1 bird is streaming from her eyes and nose, mouth partially open and eyes bubbling. Is this the dreaded Mycoplasma?

Firstly what do I do? I have read she should go to the vets for antibiotics? Is she ok to move? It seems so advanced in such a short period of time.

Are the other hens at risk?

Is my 15month old daughter at risk?

Are all the eggs no good?

Very concerned so any help apprecaited.

Thanks

Vember

Re: ? Mycoplasma - Urgent Help Please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:42 »
Hi KC

Yes you really need to get her to the vets, the other hens are at risk :(

The eggs are ok though that will change once they get medication from the vet, they will all need the medication.

Can't see their being a problem to your daughter but it might be best she doesn't handle them whilst they have snotty noses and the like :)

Hope she picks up asap :)

Sarah :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:46 »
Without a blood test no one can be sure if that is it but yes it does come on very quickly, get her to the vets asap. Most vets will give her an antibiotic jab and a course of baytril but my vet gave me aureomycin to go in their water (you can eat their eggs whilst using this, but personally I wouldn't as the tub says you can't eat the chicken!!!) and metacam.
Your other chooks could be at risk but non of my others caught it - perhaps the water treatment caught it in time to prevent any symptoms coming out.
Your daughter is not at risk as far as I am aware. I wasn't told that we were at risk.
We ate our hens eggs up until they started the treatment.
Hope this helps.
Staffies are softer than you think.

keepers_cottage

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:13 »
Thanks guys.

Spoke to the vet and she has given me some Baytril for 7 days for all the birds. Hope I catch it in time!

Thanks again

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:17 »
Good luck - keep us posted. As you've probably realised we really are a caring bunch on here so will watching this thread now to see that all is well.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:17 »
Hello only just caught up! sounds exactly like my girlies! they are on baytril and Joyfull has given me her metacam which she rushed over last night!  :wub: The symtoms do come on very fast Thurs morn all girls fine came home at 1.30 same day and Tikka was really poorly with others sneezing!
really hope you get yours sorted! keep them warm and give them loads of fuss!
3 of my girlies are still suffering badly but all 7 have laid today! (in the bin) just glad its not cold wet and windy

Thinking of you!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:21 »
Best wishes and hugs to all your chucks - hope they recover soon.

On another note - just to cheer you up .......

If you receive an email from the Department of Health, telling you not to eat tinned chopped pork because of Swine Flu, - ignore it........................... it's just Spam.
 :D

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 10:40 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
That joke was sooo funny bless you....

Myco comes on fast but if caught quick can be cured quick.  One of my hens had it 2 days after we brought her >:( not happy but none of the others had it, they were all treated and no further problems so far.

Hope she gets well soon hugs from here as we know what its like xxx

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:54 »
Best wishes and hugs to all your chucks - hope they recover soon.

On another note - just to cheer you up .......

If you receive an email from the Department of Health, telling you not to eat tinned chopped pork because of Swine Flu, - ignore it........................... it's just Spam.
 :D

:lol: That made me giggle and did cheer me up! Thankyou

Debbie x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:33 »
I would add tht it would be advisable to treat ALL your hens as they are bound to have picked it up.  You should also have a thorough clean nof the house and run withsome Jayes fluid.

(Sorry if this has already been said - I'm in a rush)

Sparr0wman

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 18:23 »
Honestly i could cry :( , Buzz has been suffering from this since we got her, about 5-6 weeks ago now, at first she was on eyedrops but it didn't seem to work so we go tsome baytrill this morning. I have just given her second dose today, and low and behold Mufin sneezed at me and as i looked at her she had a few bubbles in her eye. :ohmy:  :mad:
   Sorry to take over this thread i just know this is a topic that pops up often i just don't want another thread on the same thing that's all. How long do you give this baytrill for? i think i might have enough for the 2 chickens but not all 4 af them. the coop has been cleaned fully. oh i need some help....superman where are you. seriously i need some experianced advice :(
consultation with my vet has cost 21 quid first dose of eyedrops were £5 the baytrill is £14  :blink:  you can see where my concern is. i need to nip this in the bud quickly. Anybody :(

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 18:47 »
Hi whare did you have Buzz from?????????  I had my girls from someone who USED to be on the supply list.  I had a word with John, and they are no longer on it and are not likely to be either :tongue2: :tongue2:.
 Phone them up and let them know you are not happy.. I know this isn't going to solve the problem but if she had had it since you had her then they are responsible for the selling of THEIR livestock!!!! >:(

The vet should have given you enough for all your chickens mine gave me some for spare just in case....not much help though.  You will probably find there is enough as it goes along way!!!!!!

Baytrill works quick though, in a couple of days Buzz will be back to her old self.  Don't think i've been much help

Sparr0wman

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 17:54 »
I started buzz and muffin on the baytrill and will give untill it runs out. hopefully the ohter 2 don't catch this. they seem happy as if nothing is wrong. Unlike myself who would be bed bound and calling to my wiofe for room service :tongue2:
Is mycoplasma like a chicken cold? Is it a common problem? and more importantly is there anything a chicken owner can do to avoid it?  i can't believe my chickens are this unlucky. ???

keepers_cottage

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 17:11 »
Hi All,

Just an update. My chucks are now much better, symptoms have subsided following day 4 of the Baytril and they all seem very happy again.

I will continue their course but just to say thanks to all your help.

Best wishes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 17:30 »
Good news KC  :)

Keep it in mind though that once a chook has had mycoplasma they always have it in the background and at times of stress it can flare up again !

xx
mycoplasma.

Started by barley on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 21:47
by barley
xx
Mycoplasma

Started by Truffle on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 22:49
by Chookiechook
xx
is this mycoplasma??

Started by dazza666 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 20:24
by joyfull
xx
MYCOPLASMA

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 14:12
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 37 queries.