My ducklings feed

• 3 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
My ducklings feed
« on: April 03, 2007, 22:45 »
I have given ducklings chick crumbs but they don't sem to be eating it, any ideas what else to offer them, should I be soaking it in water or something please???

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
ok
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40 »
Today they are eating well and happy.

I have read that the chick crumbs may have medication in it which could be a problem for them, I don't know if it has there was no mention on the pack.  What would be a suitable alternative please
Sandra
x

WG.

My ducklings feed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:11 »
We fed chick crumbs only for a start.  I also used to riddle out some very fine oyster shell grit for them.  It is amazing how early they'll start pecking at it.

A little later on, there is nothing they like better than an outdoor pen on grass or soil.  But beware, they will eat or trample most seedlings.  I also had to put on a net roof to keep off gulls and buzzards - seems everything likes to eat ducklings.

muntjac

My ducklings feed
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 14:39 »
DO NOT FEED MEDICATED FEED TO DUCKLINGS AT ALL

avoid commercial diets designed to grow ducks fast for meat or commercial egg production. These diets often contain medications that prevent communicable diseases in large duck communities, and may be harmful to your duck  
ducks do well on non-medicated pelleted mash as a staple, supplemented with fresh vegetable trimmings, chopped hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, cracked corn (keep out of ponds if you have fish), garden snails (NOT if you use snail bait or pesticides), worms,  bloodworms maggots and other beasties  they really enjoy floating coi caerp food  and cooked brussel sprouts floating in tne water
protein levels are impotant to your duck  growing properly.
ducklings need starter feed with 20-22% protein for 3 weeks adolescents do best on 16% protein.
adult ducks need 16-18% when they are laying and 14-16% if they aren't laying. A/P Lay mash is excellent for adult ducks.
to much protein can cause a condition called "angel wing" where the feathers on the wings protrude upwards. to little can  cause  serious health problems. maize  corn is cheap and great for em and good food for ducks. It contains half of the protein a duck needs to kep fit so you can mix it with other stuff
still alive /............

xx
Ducklings - can we feed crumbled layers' pellets ?

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 20:42
by Vember
question
Ducklings - feed/water at night-time?

Started by tesni on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 11:15
by tesni
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac

Page created in 0.946 seconds with 28 queries.