It's dahlia time!

• 34 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: It's dahlia time!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 22:49 »
The peas did to for me.

I'll have to sit down now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yabba

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 22:58 »
It's your age, I understand ;)

¥

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 23:32 »
Sorry to ask another queastion Yabba, but are those trays that the tubers were started off in just ordinary potting trays as they look bigger than the ones I generally use - yours look 'cat litter tray' size and depth, and, what's your best tip for successful dahlias?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 00:06 »
Yabba,  pardon me for asking but is there much money in showing flowers?  I mean, either you are independantly wealthy (did anyone get the name of the last lottery winner?? ::)) or do you just survive on air and rain yourself??

Oh, and I'm not thinking of showing flowers; I only like them to look pretty on the lotty and to attract the bees :D

Yabba

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 06:52 »
are those trays that the tubers were started off in just ordinary potting trays as they look bigger than the ones I generally use - yours look 'cat litter tray' size and depth

The trays are approx 24" x 12" x 4" ... we use them because they fit our benches nicely ;)

what's your best tip for successful dahlias?

Grow from cuttings ;)

is there much money in showing flowers?

There's not a lot of prize money in showing, even at our level, but you could, if you wanted, make a tad of cash by selling cuttings ( start of year ), flowers ( during year ) and tubers ( end of year ) ... personally I'm just happy to be able to use the spare beds for growing food :D

¥

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 09:01 »
Thanks Yabba for the tray size info - you've inspired me for next year!

Yabba

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 14:30 »
If you give me a nudge near the end of november I'll happily send you some tubers ;)

¥

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 21:32 »
Oh Yabba, that's so generous of you - I'm going to put a note in my diary to remind me!

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 14:18 »
Hey Yabba, thanks for the advice you gave me earlier in the year about my mouldy 'fluffy' dahlia tubers. I did what you suggested and potted them up anyway. Out of 13, 10 are sprouting nicely; one of them is absolutely huge! The 3 that haven't done anything are all the same variety: Twilight Time. Am guessing they weren't as strong and healthy as the other varieties. Still, there are plenty to fill my little dahlia bed anyway  :)

Yabba

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 15:00 »
Glad to hear that, don't forget to share some pics when they flower :D

¥

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 17:24 »
I have three (what a huge number!!  ::) ) dahlias on my plot - given to me as a present (birhtday I think).... what a huge amount of space they take up once they are in full swing!  :ohmy:

I leave them in the ground over winter and up they shoot (gradually) each late Spring.

Please could someone tell me when would be the best time to lift them as I have promised to pass on a tuber of each to a friend?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yabba

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08 »
From an old post :

Here's what we do with our dahlias :

After we finish showing ( in a couple of weeks ) we cut them down to about knee high, sideshoot them and feed sulphate of potash for a few weeks. They will regrow! So we cut them down again a few weeks later to about the same height.

Towards the end of oct beginning of nov we cut them down to ground level and dig up the tubers that we want for next year. These we roughly cleaned and label ( they all look pretty much the same as tubers ). We then store the tubers in a cool dry place ( usually one of the garages ) upside down so that any water that's collected in the neck drains away ;)

Next year ( we start in january because we have heated beds .. you'd usually be looking at end of march to mid april ) we pop the tubers in a tray and roughly cover with soil ( they don't have to be completely covered ) and water them. Not long later they start producing shoots like mad which we then take as cuttings ( make a cut directly below a leaf joint and remove all but top few leaves, dip in rooting powder and slap in some nice new potting compost, water and stand well back ).

You can easily get 15 -> 30 decent cuttings off each tuber ... bonus :D

¥

¥

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 15:55 »
From an old post :

Here's what we do with our dahlias :

After we finish showing ( in a couple of weeks ) we cut them down to about knee high...
¥

¥

Dalhias have knees?  :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 17:33 »
Thanks for the advice Yabba re: propagation.... I'll keep a look out for those knees!!  :lol:

Yabba

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 17:36 »
Dalhias have knees?  :blink:

DUH, of course they do :| It's the knobbly bit just above the grasshopper ... yer gonna tell me you don't get grasshoppers on yer dahlias aren't yah? :tongue2:

¥

xx
dahlia's

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 22:04
by Eblana
xx
Dahlia all look different

Started by casper on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 20:57
by casper
xx
dahlia

Started by archies plot on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 22:36
by archies plot
xx
dahlia

Started by Rampant_Weasel on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 10:13
by matron

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.