Getting disheartened

• 35 Replies

Helen_uk

Re: Getting disheartened
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18 »
If it's any consolation everything growing is a nightmare too!

I didnt understand the concept of sucession (?sp) sowing so in went ALL of the lettuce seeds, I now have hundreds of lettuces that are all going to mature at the same time and I won't have any later in the summer.

I've also discovered that I have bindweed growing through EVERYTHING, aswell as nettles, twitch and docks. ho hum.

I haven't had time to work the whole plot over so I have LOADS of things cluttering the side of my shed with pots, somethings are getting too big and need planting out but i just don't have the time to get the beds ready.

I'm almost considering resorting to weedkilling the other half so i can get it done quicker. But I don't want to!

Ho hum - must plough on, as much as I love it down there sometimes the hardwork seems like too much!
I'm a vegetable virgin! All advice offered very welcome!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:25 »

I didnt understand the concept of sucession (?sp) sowing so in went ALL of the lettuce seeds, I now have hundreds of lettuces that are all going to mature at the same time and I won't have any later in the summer.

Sow some more now, you'll get some.

Just a sprinkle in a small plant pot, prick out into seeds trays when you can handle them, then plant out. One packet lasts years this way.

I'll be sowing every week or sow for a couple of months yet. Now it's warmer, they'll soon grown.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lisa80

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 14:16 »
I really feel for u  my courgettes were very hit and miss too, this is our first year and so i found seeds in netto at 19p a packet try to keep ur costs down then if u fail its not so bad if its not cost u much.we used scaffolding planks to create a salad box on our allotment and we use this for all salad stuffs plus courgette and any winter veg that need protecting from birds and the wind.We keep it netted and use plenty of slug pellets.We have netted and wired everything on our plot and no losses so far!!!! i have a small cold frame at home where i start seeds off and for a begginner im very impressed with myself .We have kept costs to a minimum never again will i buy seeds at nearly £2 a packet !!!!!

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 16:59 »
Sharon, I had the same problem last year. Carapillers ate everything :mad: Pumpkin ripened way to late,  Lost my carrots. Nevermind I'm back with a vengance, I've learned by my mistakes thanks to everyone on here, and all's well.   (for now)

Resow and give it a go. :D
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 17:13 »
If it's any consolation everything growing is a nightmare too!

I've also discovered that I have bindweed growing through EVERYTHING, aswell as nettles, twitch and docks. ho hum.

I haven't had time to work the whole plot over so I have LOADS of things cluttering the side of my shed with pots, somethings are getting too big and need planting out but i just don't have the time to get the beds ready.

I'm almost considering resorting to weedkilling the other half so i can get it done quicker. But I don't want to!

Ho hum - must plough on, as much as I love it down there sometimes the hardwork seems like too much!

Try weed suppressing fabric, then lift the bit you want to work on. At least the rest won't be overtaking you. If you take long enough, you will find all the weeds dead, and the worms have done your digging. There's mostly not enough time to do everything, so stopping things getting worse will give you a break.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 21:29 »
Dwarf Green Beans are the answer!

They come up so quick it will cheer you up and take your mind off the dissapointments

Carol

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:50 »
If you have a big slug problem I'd suggest climbing beans instead of dwarf ones (based on my experiences last year)
Good luck
Carol - aiming for organicness.

elibump

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 07:07 »
Know exactly how you feel.  I have never been able to grow anything and the sight of the entire family laughing when I said I wanted a veggie plot was the most dishartening thing ever but, loads of failures later, I seem to have some good tatties coming along, broad beans, garlic to die for and peas in abundance.  Having said that, I also read about cache planting and planted loads n loads of lettucy stuff between things, some silly b***er forgot to record in the planting diary what was were and now don't know which are weeds and which will be lettuce :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:.  Keep trying, you'll do better than me I'm sure.

Elibump xx

PS Even the 'unkillable' spider plant shuffled off this mortal coil :( :( :(
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 07:14 »
Pop around if your close enough i think i have go over the top this year as its my first i have lots of seedlings that you can pick up toms, beetroot, cauli, and im sure we can find a few more bits. 

pm me if you want to pop to the plot and meet the family and pick up some goodies. Oh and if you look in fugle living Lacewing is giving away some goodies to you could pick up from both of us at the same time she is only 10 mins from me. ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:17 by Rangerkris »
Thanks
Kris

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 07:40 »
I have always thought that if any other field of DIY was as beset with problems as gardening we would just give up and leave it to the experts.
But when I go down the garden and cut a (very mishapen) cabbage and present it to "she who must be obeyed" for our dinner, there is a wonderful smug feeling of satisfaction.
I usually give her my produce with the announcement "I made that!"
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 07:48 »
I think this year has been a poor one for germination.
My parsnips (sown in March) are only just starting to show (very patchy at that)  Carrots a few here and there, Beans with leaves munched by (slugs?) and cabbage.  Peas hit and miss - big gaps.  The thing I really wanted to grow exhibition sweetpeas are such a sorry looking bunch - again munched on.  I've sown leeks in wrong depth containers and they are like blades of grass!On my second sowing of sweetcorn and butternut squash - just cant get them to germinate.  I have 5 weedy sweetcorn from a sowing of about 28.

When I look at my neighbours plots - I FEEL INFERIOR  :tongue2:
BUT success - salad bar and webs lettuce, the beetroot are just coming. Potatoes are catching up and onions look ok  -  if only the mole will clear off.
Thats what makies growing interesting - the  CHALLENGE and if and when tyou succeed THE TASTE and of course  growing is a conversational topic and some people think you are ever so clever (and think you are an expert) but dont tell them your not! :D
So Chin up - lots of us in the same position - but its good to share :D

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 07:51 »
It all comes right in the end !

Just keep reading the books, ask advice from other plot holders and maybe keep a diary.
Most of us are not experts and we all learn something new with every visit to our plots.

When I first got my plot it was covered in marestail and brambles. Then with the heavy rains over the winter it flooded and only now I have manged to start planting things out.

good luck and keep your chin up.

Thamesmead
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:09 by Thamesmeadhammer »

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 08:08 »
Thanks everyone for all your words of support, I do feel much better today after reading them all.
I do have good garlic, the onions are coming along nicely and the spuds all look healthy enough, also carrots are looking fab. So I do have them to look forward to. I'm not going to give up I am going to try again. Maybe the parsnips didn't germinate because I brought the seeds last year. I didn't know they deteriorate quickly. I will nip out and buy fresh today I think!
The cold frame has been moved up onto the decking and I have checked round all the paper pots and only found one slug last night which I think would have been in one of the pots, so hopefully that's that problem solved ( never seen a slug up on the decking  :) )
All in all when i think about it I am doing ok, it's just very frustrating when you see everyone else seemingly doing better than you.

lisa80

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 08:30 »
it will always seem that people are doin better than you, it just takes experience we just ask people and admit we  are not sure about things .the old guys on our allotment offer help because they can see we are giving it a good go and working hard.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 08:37 »
it will always seem that people are doin better than you, it just takes experience we just ask people and admit we  are not sure about things .the old guys on our allotment offer help because they can see we are giving it a good go and working hard.

I totally agree with you there, and they are very generous too. I joked the other day that you don't need to grow anything yourself just pop down and see those that know what they're doing and you go home with your arms full. Will be cooking the rhubarb down later to make a nice crumble tart   :D

xx
Disheartened

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 20:09
by chillimummy
xx
Disheartened

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:08
by alimilly
xx
Disheartened....

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 08:14
by Swing Swang
xx
Disheartened with plot

Started by Hevski on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 18:26
by Clactonite

Page created in 0.592 seconds with 28 queries.