Hmmm, Shall I have ducks??

• 26 Replies

Foxy

Re: Hmmm, Shall I have ducks??
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 16:12 »
Narrrr Not Super Duck, more suave sophisticated duck

The Names Pond.......... Patrick Pond

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats absolutely brilliant!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 18:15 »
Patrick babies already have the white shirt on. They just need the bow tie!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 18:16 »

Not the best pic. Will have to try and get a better one.

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 18:42 »
It does illustrate the garden 'issues' though  :lol:

More mud than grass in that shot. :D

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 19:56 »
I Forgot to mention pond emptying as well, unless it's flowing any pond will need emptying at least once a week, maybe more if it's in full sun as it will soon become stagnant & smell disgusting  :(

Sarah :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 23:36 »
Thanks everyone for the wonderful replys. Those pics are just great. Well me being me, i would love a duck to be one that i could fuss aswell as get some eggs from! So perhaps alyesburys or appleyards or a mix of each. i just love to fuss animals. I am EVEN more convinced to have ducks seeing "patrick pond" Is he the roger moore of the duck world. lol. I've given up on the garden rob so what the hell. Erm, regarding the pond, its no problem, but being a fixed pond - can you use a filter / fountain for it to keep it clean & circulated? like what you'd use for pond fish. we've got that kind of set up. If not i'll put a hose in it & drain it / refill manually.

Thankyou deano for the link to the place at clent. I'll make some enq. there as not too far away.

hmm decisions ??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 07:47 »
Hi ww, shame you don't live in Lincolnshire - on our lincs pets 4 life  group there are 6 fetile call ducks eggs available. My o/h wont let me have a pond as we have a large beck at the side of us so "if you want to see ducks why don't you look at them on that" type of comments. He wasn't over keen on the chucks at first but now he finds them very amusing and loves their eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:19 »
I noticed the eggs too joyfull. tempting isn;t it ?  :D

I would go for the emptying/refillign option. They not only leave a fair bit of poo in the pond, but also pick up soil and sift it in the water, leaving a fine silt behind. Any clean water quickly turns cloudy. They also like to 'dabble' in the bottom mud that forms but in a small pond it can encourage some nasty algae, especially in the sun, so important to keep clean. :)

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:32 »
We thought about the filter side of things Ww as I somehow have managed to get 3 largeish ponds in the garden  ::) :lol:

Biggest fear is electricity, water & ducks not a nice mix if something went wrong  :(

I am emptying mine twice a week at the moment :)

You'll be very lucky to get a cuddly duck, they just don't do that even the most friendly, all bar 5 of mine have been hand reared and I still have fun trying to catch them ::) :lol:

Sarah :D

matilda duck

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 09:47 »
I'm with Sarah on this what's a cuddly duck???? The nearest I get to a cuddle is when I've got Zorro in my arms ::).  My 2 little ones were a week old when we had them we cuddled them and played with them but I can't get near them now....
That's just ducks though!!!   I find they are more entertaining than chickens is that why I've got 6, another 2 on the way and I saw the most gorgeous one yesterday    :nowink: My garden isn't too bad at the moment only have to mow the lawn once a fortnight :tongue2: having said that the * have eaten my sweet peas >:(

Have ducks you wont regret it.....

Hawkins

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 09:50 »
Sarah, is that why you fall over in the mud all the time, chasing those pesky ducks around.

My pen is like a slippery surface at the moment because of the ducks playing in the mud.
and there is Mr darcy trying to do the do with little all the time. She has major feather pullage on her neck and legs. It also amazing how they can drill holes with there beaks as well, the neck muscles must be so strong.

It doesnt look friendly some times.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

RichardA

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18 »
we have a pump in the pond to recirc the water and it has a side outlet on it so about once a month I attach a  hose and empty out about three quarters and then refill. Twice a year I fully empty and clean out and refill - mucky water and sludge goes on nearest veg patch but never on salads etc as they dont get cooked so could be dodgy health wise. Ducks just love teh pond though.
Problem is in winter when mix of leaves and feathers blocks pump occasionally.
R

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks

Started by hlaw9t34zl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 22:57
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Ducks at last!

Started by scotty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 07:50
by Sassy
xx
need help with my ducks !

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 23:07
by dchubbuk

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 29 queries.