Hmmm, Shall I have ducks??

• 26 Replies

wildwitchy

Hmmm, Shall I have ducks??
« on: May 19, 2009, 18:35 »
I've been thinking the past few weeks about having ducks. As if I'm not in an enough state about these eggs I'm doing at the minute!!

Would it be best to have hatching eggs or POL ducks? Would a broody hen hatch ducks? If not I'll get a incy. Sorry for the quest's. x

I'm not sure what sort to have. I'd like the best breed for laying eggs. Bear in mind I've got chooks. I know less about ducks than I do chickens & i'm no expert there.  ::) Always willing to learn, take advice & give them the most suitable possible home. I've had a few of my egg customers ask about duck eggs & I've always liked ducks too. I'd love geese but I just don't have the space or grass for them.

Oh by the way I've got a big hole ready made for a pond (just got to finish it) if I do have them. We was going to have koi but hub's doesn't want them now. So i'll have it!!  :)

Many Thanks,

Sharon. xxx  :happy:

poultrygeist

Re: Hmmm, Shall I have ducks??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 19:51 »
Hi ww. :)

Bear in mind, hatching eggs tend to give more drakes than females, unless you're lucky. :)

Ducks need a fair bit of space compared to chickens, can be messy, especially when it rains, but are far more entertaining and the eggs are worth more ! :D

Good luck.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 19:54 »
Hi Ww

I started with young birds 3/4 month olds and I think for a beginner it's the best way to go :)

As Rob says the trouble with hatching eggs is the drakes, my call duck has hatched all males this year :(

Khaki Campbells are the best egg layers with the Welsh Harlequin and Indian Runners coming up behind :)

There is a list here of birds and the kind of production you can expect
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=29685.0

Sarah :)

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 20:04 »
i never knew that they hatched more boys than girls, you learn something new on here ever day.

Hawkins

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 21:43 »
I LOVE MY DUCKS THERE BRILL ( yup im shouting in a happy eggcited way) :D :D
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

janet12000

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 22:14 »
I got 2 Khaki Campbells when they were still fairly ickle. (7 weeks old)
They are big now (at 10 weeks) but have been a wonderful addition to the family. My son loves them!  I have to clean their house out every other day or else they stink.
They are so cute though with their ducky ways!
Mine have a baby bath at the moment.
I want a pond for my birthday!

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 23:32 »
Thanks everyone for the replys. Gosh I'm stupid (menopausal hen moment), I never even thought about the drakes with the hatching eggs!  ::) I don't mind but obviously I wouldn't want a whole clutch of them as I want the yummy eggs for my cakes!  :lol:

I will look into ducklings or POL's locally Birmingham/warwickshire). Someone wanted £15 each (campbell) from Romsley - worcestershire? Is that a ok price?

As far as space, the garden is pretty big for the chooks to roam in. As far as the muck - The chickens have wrecked my garden. When it rains it is like a mud bath at the back. I just lift the manhole cover & sweep & swill everything down into a main drain we've got to clean the yard. It doesn't bother me.

What do your ducks sleep on janet? Is it sawdust & straw like I keep my chooks on? Can you let the ducks sleep with the chooks or do they have to sleep on their own? T/Y. x

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:17 »
You asked about hens incubating duck eggs. They often make better mothers than ducks as they are more committed. They just get a bit upset when their baby decides to go for a swim!

Campbells are the best egg layers but from what I have read on this site are very flighty and even ones raised from babies don't seem to be very tame. It really depends on which is the most important for you - eggs or pets. Nothing wrong with either.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:21 »
I have 2 Khaki campbells that we had from 5 weeks old, They are not tame at all. They tolerate us and thats about it. I also have 3 Aylesburys 2 girs and a boy that I had from day olds and they are as tame as can be. You have to be carefull or they try and sit on your lap.

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53 »
you might not need to go as far as romsley.  there's a place called oak meadow poultry just off J3 of the M5 in the clent hills that sells ducks.  i'd consider giving them a try. they always seem to have a good selection

http://www.oakmeadowfarm.co.uk/home.htm

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 13:00 »
I love my ducks and have given upon a tidy mud free garden. They are full of comedy and charecter. As has been said, Campbells have the best reputation for laying but I have found mine vrey nervous, even those raised from the egg.
I love my Silver Appleyard who has a much calmer temperment although currently broody and have a wonderful placid Cayuga drake who I am hoping will pass on his temperment to his offspring (of which there are an increasing number!).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hawkins

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 13:06 »
there can  never be enough Patrick babies in the world.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 14:19 »
We have a world domination plan in progress. This is just the begining!

Mwahahahahah!!!

Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 14:25 »
careful or sarah will be getting the super duck pictures out again.

Vember

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 14:42 »
Narrrr Not Super Duck, more suave sophisticated duck

The Names Pond.......... Patrick Pond

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
3 little ducks . . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 17:56
by Jellyhead
xx
Ducks

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 12:41
by jo40
xx
Ducks

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 08:29
by Knight Family

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.