Weeds around my fruit bushes

• 12 Replies

Vegswap

• Vegswap
Weeds around my fruit bushes
« on: May 18, 2009, 19:53 »
The weeds around my raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries and rhubarb have got completely out of hand. Short of a flame thrower has anyone got any ideas? I don't really want to use nasty poisonous chemicals but I'm totally daunted by the amount of back breaking weeding to be done. Help!!

Christine

Re: Weeds around my fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 19:59 »
I'd be for some back breaking weeding as this should leave your fruit bushes safe. I'd not use chemicals either at close quarters.

Sorry and all that but at least the hard labour will only hurt you and not the fruit bushes.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 20:16 »
I inherited weed infested fruit bushes, they could never be cleared as weed roots went right through the fruit roots.
Last winter I covered all the ground between and around the bushes with heavy weight ground cover material. I had to cut slits to fit around the bushes but then put off cuts under these slits and held it all inplace with pegs.
So far this appears to be working - just the odd weed poking thru next to the bushes but these were easily pulled out. Looks like the weeds are defeated and I can always lift the ground cover in winter to apply manure.
Worked for me with red and black currants and gooseberries, could work with rhubarb but would not work with raspberries as space must be left for the new shoots.
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

SG6

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 20:29 »
Shears, large or small.
Then hand pick whatever you can.
The roots of some of the fruit plants tend to be close to the surface so don't try to dig them out. You may get away with a hand trowel and care.

Then as said a weed suppressant material or a mulch such as bark chippings, or both.

I would use just the bark myself as that way it eventually gets broken down and ends up in the soil.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:30 »
Bark looks a lot nicer but established perennial weeds will all grow through it.
I've added woodchip on top of the membrane for aesthetic reasons

savbo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10 »
we'd chopped back 2 goosegogs anyway cos they were a twiggy mess, so when it came to weeding we just dig them up, pulled away all the weeds we could see, replanted in a temporary spot to let the weeds we'd missed grow up, then we'll weed then again before planting in final position...

not recommending as a course of action but it's an option... especially after cropping?

M

Carol

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:47 »
I had the same problem. I hand weeded what I could, put a really thick mulch down and that stopped the majority.  But there was bindweed right in the roots of the bushes, so I resorted to training it up a stick, so there were a good number of leaves, then painting the leaves with weedkiller.  I hadn't wanted to use any chemical, but it seemed the only option.  My fruit patch is now bindweed free.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:14 »
The sure way is a Dutch hoe and your hands. I know its not the easiest but it works, Sorry. :blush:
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36 »
put card boasrd around the plants then cover with manure ,worked for me plus plants get a good feed too

Vegswap

• Vegswap
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:58 »
Thanks for the advice. I suppose a little hard work never hurt anyone and its cheaper than the gym!!

drizabone

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46 »
I went for the cardboard option, seems to be working so far.

Dominic

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20 »
I just lawn mower round mine, then pull out anything thats left.

Its harder round the raspberries, not sorted them yet, was thinking a bit of round up applied sparingly with a brush.
Might just leave them till winter, when theres a bit less foilage and go in with scissors
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

durham_lass

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 13:19 »
It was suggested to me to plant strawberries or alpine strawberries at the base of my fruit bushes as this would help keep the weeds down.   This is the first year of trying it so will have to see if it works.
Linda

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 16:03
by Chicken Pete
xx
new fruit bushes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 10:27
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 20:54
by Ice

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 36 queries.