Compost heaps and chickens

• 7 Replies

Vic K

Compost heaps and chickens
« on: May 18, 2009, 13:43 »
Our four chickens live at the back of the garden in a permanent walk-in run - an ex flowerbed now covered with bark chippings. (They do generally free-range for half the day too as I work at home.) Within this flowerbed we also have our compost bin (one of those wooden slatted affairs), into which we put the straw and chicken poo from their house, as well as the usual vegetable waste etc.

The chickens can jump in and out of the compost heap, but I'm now wondering if this is such a good idea, and whether they aren't more likely to pick up worms from the compost, and other nasties. (I do worm regularly with Flubenvet; and have also started using Stalosan F when I change their bark chippings.)

I'm asking partly because I'm worried about egg production. Of our 4, 2 lay regularly pretty much every day, but of the other two, Buffy (now a 2yr old) hasn't laid since last July, when we introduced two new hens, and although seeming bright and perky, noticeable weighs less than she did. The other, Angel, probably hasn't laid for 2 months now, having previously laid erratically - say 3 a week. She's absolutely not light, and is the most energetic, although occasionally has a dirty bum (which I've just cleaned  :tongue2: - no signs of lice or other nasties, and vent looks OK).

Any thoughts gratefully received. I can't resite the compost heap, but I can close it to the chickens.

Vic

Roughlee Handled

Re: Compost heaps and chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 14:20 »
.......When we introduced two new hens, and although seeming bright and perky, noticeable weighs less than she did. The other, Angel, probably hasn't laid for 2 months now, having previously laid erratically - say 3 a week. She's absolutely not light........

Do not worry about the compost heap. That is no problem.

Fat chickens do not lay.
If she is a hybrid then they tend not to lay much after 18months - 2 years. As a chicken is born with the amount of eggs its going to lay.

What do you feed them on? Treats?

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vic K

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 14:29 »
Pellets, and sometimes treats (leftover pasta or rice) but generally only in the afternoon. As a rule, they stay in their run with only their pellets in the morning, then free-range in the afternoon.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 14:35 »
If they are bright happy. Then thats ok.
What breed are they?
You may be unlucky and they have finished laying.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 14:38 »
You sure they're not laying else where?

Might be an idea to cut out all treats and just let them have the layers pellets and what they can find free ranging in the afternoon :) Try it for a couple of weeks and see if that works :D

Sarah :)

Vic K

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 14:52 »
Definitely not laying elsewhere - although, ironically, when they do it's in the compost heap!

Will try cutting out treats.

If that doesn't work, will cheer myself up by muttering 'freeloader!' occasionally...

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:53 »
 :lol:

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:53 »
I keep our compost in a bin and my CouCou Maran has figured out how to tap the little trap door in the front so that it falls off and then it's a free for all!   ;)  Those worms and such are very good for your hens and really help give lovely eggs of good quality.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Chickens and compost

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 21:58
by asd1
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 27 queries.