asparagus

• 17 Replies

scotty

asparagus
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:38 »
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
just wanted to share, i received 2yo crowns and planted them in octeber when i put the garlic out. from reading afterwards i presumed i may of killed them by putting out then.

anyway  :D  :D  :D it has sprouted, so happy, can't wait till next year when i can pick it!

Di
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39 »
Lovely! :D :D

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 13:28 »
I planted out about 20 1 year old crowns in April and a good 10 or 11 seem to have come through with one or two spears.  I am concerned that the other 8 or 9 may be dead, should I leave them for longer or have a dig to see if they need replacing?

If they need replacing is there a particular time that is best to do it?

barney rubble

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 13:35 »
I planted out about 20 1 year old crowns in April and a good 10 or 11 seem to have come through with one or two spears.  I am concerned that the other 8 or 9 may be dead, should I leave them for longer or have a dig to see if they need replacing?

If they need replacing is there a particular time that is best to do it?

I'd leave it a bit longer - some of mine are only just poking their heads through. The new plantings often take longer to show than established crowns. I wouldn't dig as it would only disturb them, and if they are on the move to the surface, they probably won't appreciate it

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 14:33 »
I lost all 30 last year by planting out in October (ish) and I was told you are best to put them out in the spring.. so this year I did but still lost a fair few... think I am doing something wrong somewhere.

barney rubble

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 14:56 »
I lost all 30 last year by planting out in October (ish) and I was told you are best to put them out in the spring.. so this year I did but still lost a fair few... think I am doing something wrong somewhere.

Have you definitely lost them Sadgit, or are they just coming through. I've literally just detected a number of mine coming up (although several of them are a couple of inches above the surface now). I've got them in containers in ordinary compost (i've posted elsewhere on container growing and shorter lifespan, as advised by the professional asparagus grower whom I bought them from). Mine were planted 15/4/09.  i think there is still hope yet. Good luck

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 15:01 »
yeah they were dead dead dead.... the crowns had withered up and died.

barney rubble

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 15:12 »
yeah they were dead dead dead.... the crowns had withered up and died.

Oh what a pity - was it the conditions or poor supplies?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 15:17 »
Asparagus are very sensitive to waterlogging and it doesn't take much to make them so. The best thing I found for planting out the crowns was to make sure the soil was well dug with lots of sharp sand or perlite, some manure, a bit of lime, bonemeal and such. Trench a planting hole, take a big handful of sharp sand and mound a solid lump at the bottom of the hole. Sit the crown on the very top of the sandy mound and spread out the roots from there. Then cover and gently firm in soil. And never dig in that area again. Place a small marker close to the crown so you know exactly where it is.
The sand mound keeps the crown dry and I found almost 100% success since I started doing it that way. So do try again.

barney rubble

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 15:29 »
Asparagus are very sensitive to waterlogging and it doesn't take much to make them so. The best thing I found for planting out the crowns was to make sure the soil was well dug with lots of sharp sand or perlite, some manure, a bit of lime, bonemeal and such. Trench a planting hole, take a big handful of sharp sand and mound a solid lump at the bottom of the hole. Sit the crown on the very top of the sandy mound and spread out the roots from there. Then cover and gently firm in soil. And never dig in that area again. Place a small marker close to the crown so you know exactly where it is.
The sand mound keeps the crown dry and I found almost 100% success since I started doing it that way. So do try again.

That sound like very sound advice (once again) Trillium.

Can I just throw into the arena the advice I was given by the (professional) grower I bought them from  - its re spreading the roots. Read the books and they will advise you to spread them and the diagrams in the text books illustrating it will look like a spider. I was advised to keep the roots running in the same direction - so effectively they will all run in a straight line down your plot (or in a circle as mine are in round deep containers).

Guess it remains to be seen what happens next year, but I obviously bought good stock from a professional who knows what they are doing and as the crowns have at least all made an appearance this year I'm going with their advice and hope it might be of some help if I pass it on too

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 15:43 »
I've actually done the roots both ways, in one direction and spread out. The roots will always go wherever they can find nutrition so its a bit of a fallacy that they'll run in one direction. A more rigid root like raspberries are likely to run in the direction you point them in, but not a multi, soft root like asparagus which I've found growing the opposite way to how I planted it (had to move some which is how I know). As long as they grow, I don't much care.  :D

barney rubble

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 15:47 »
I've actually done the roots both ways, in one direction and spread out. The roots will always go wherever they can find nutrition so its a bit of a fallacy that they'll run in one direction. A more rigid root like raspberries are likely to run in the direction you point them in, but not a multi, soft root like asparagus which I've found growing the opposite way to how I planted it (had to move some which is how I know). As long as they grow, I don't much care.  :D

Did they survive the move Ok - I was advised not to move them, which is why I've viewed container growing as a short term option - but will happily try to get the full term out of them if its a viable option and won't upset the asparagus too much :)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 15:53 »
You need to dig quite a large rootball to get most of the roots and they will survive a move. If the plant is really old, you'll need a backhoe to do so, which we have.  But the average age for an asparagus plant is about 20 yrs, which is why they like to self seed. If yours started out in a pot, then you're okay; simply move the whole contents into the new planting hole.

barney rubble

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 15:56 »
Thanks  - will wait for my piece of little england then before trying  :)

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 15:16 »
Hi all,

I planted out an asparagus bed 7 or so years ago and it has done well  but I rushed the prep a bit at the offset before I really understood my soil ( I knew, I know) and as it happens, even though I added compost and manure the majority of the soil in the raised beds I am using is quite heavy clay. 

I have noticed that it become compacted and is hard for the asparagus spears to break out off.

I am planning  a  new asparagus bed and will not make the same mistake again but I am wondering what I can do for the current bed( we love asparagus so the new bed is to supplement not replace current one)?

I have thought of either covering the bed in October time with veg scraps and manure and letting the worms do their magic over winter in the hope that this will help the soil

Or

Scrapping up the top level of soil till I get near the crowns and adding manure and compost mix on top.

Thoughts, alternatives,ideas?

All appreciated,

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
ASPARAGUS

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 19:41
by mjg000

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 30 queries.