Potato Rot...

• 3 Replies

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Potato Rot...
« on: May 13, 2009, 13:02 »
A couple of my Accent potatoes have wilted and when I dug them up for inspection, the tuber had rotted away into a foul smelling mess.  The stems were also showing signs of rotting.

I have taken these away and burnt them and sterilised my tools.  Is there anything else I can do to stop this spreading?  An old boy has told me that it looks like blackleg rot, and it isn't anything too much to worry about.

Anyone know the cause?

gobs

Re: Potato Rot...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 16:38 »
It sounds it might well be back leg, this comes with the seed. hopefully, you won't have many more.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 18:02 »
A couple of my Accent potatoes have wilted and when I dug them up for inspection, the tuber had rotted away into a foul smelling mess.  The stems were also showing signs of rotting.

I have taken these away and burnt them and sterilised my tools.  Is there anything else I can do to stop this spreading?  An old boy has told me that it looks like blackleg rot, and it isn't anything too much to worry about.

Anyone know the cause?

i fancy you have saved your own seed from last year,if not i would think you have a prob with the growing area.strict rotation will solve the problem.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 18:31 »
The ground has been uncultivated for around 4 years (or so I am told).  I ordered my seed through Kings, so would have thought they would be disease free.

Still, hopefully a few bad apples (or in this case spuds) won't spoil the whole barrel.

xx
potato help

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 01:51
by Paul Plots
xx
potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:34
by Growster...
clip
potato help please.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 15:55
by JayG
xx
Potato help please!

Started by Jsy Lou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 17:16
by Manlea1

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 28 queries.