getting the chooks used to being handled

• 13 Replies

Bruced

• Experienced Member
getting the chooks used to being handled
« on: May 11, 2009, 20:31 »
More clueless ramblings from the midlands...

What is the best way to start getting the girls used to being handled? Two things I've seen suggest (1) picking them up when they are dozing off, which I know I wouldn't like, but then I'm not a chicken or (2) the gradual approach of hanging out when they are free ranging, feeding them the odd titbit or two so they get used to you, then work up to stroking then picking up. Anyone offer any good tips on a good approach and frequency of handling?

The girls are aroind 17 weeks old, we have had them a little over a week, and currently they are destroying the garden in the afternoons :D

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Re: getting the chooks used to being handled
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 20:37 »
from one clueless rambler to another, I'm sure someone will give you some lovely advice soon but my experience was that my kids used to grab them all the time so they soon got used to it whether they liked it or not!!!

I personally found that getting them to feed out of my hand was one way but then it got out of hand as they'd jump all over me anytime I sat down in the garden!  I do like to sit on the kitchen step and watch them come and sit and sun bath next to me.  So I think the first thing is to be around them a lot.

And the other thing is to hold them securely, otherwise they just flap and then the more they flap the more they work themselves in to a flap  ;)

Caralou

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 20:42 »
Treats, treats and more treats!! At least that's how I did it, now they won't leave me, or anyone else for that matter, alone when in the garden. They love sitting on knees and feeding from hands. So meal worms and the like are the way to your girls hearts  :tongue2:

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 20:43 »
So bribery is the way forward? Cool - just like the kids  :D

Caralou

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 20:52 »
Yep kids, chooks, dogs, cats and men all take well to food bribery to do what you want them to  :tongue2:

weezyorange

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 20:53 »
Yep kids, chooks, dogs, cats and men all take well to food bribery to do what you want them to  :tongue2:

Ha, I like it!

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 21:47 »

Thousands of years of evolution and we still manage to keep the important things at the top of the priority list, pretty impressive really don't you think...  :D :tongue2:

Sopho

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54 »
Mine have got to the point where they can't leave me alone and yes a little handful of treats did help!

Browny comes ad sits on my knee snuggle when I sit in the garden! Margret took a little longer but even she comes for a stroke and will let me pick her up!!

litle at a time but very regularly... don't leave too big a gap between attempts or orget how nice it is really!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:28 »
Just one small point to many treats, creates a fat hen and a fat hen does not lay :ohmy:.  You have to keep giving em over an extended period to get em fat.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13 »

hi bruced, well I'm new to this as well although my chooks are a bit older than yours, I find just spending time with them and talking to them (quietly so the neighbours don't call for the men in white coats  :) ) they will come up and and are quite nosy, when I'm in the greenhouse they like to come in and see me, this is usually the easiest time to pick them up as it's a confined space  ;) I hold them firm and talk to them.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32 »
Just one small point to many treats, creates a fat hen and a fat hen does not lay :ohmy:.  You have to keep giving em over an extended period to get em fat.

too true!
thankfully ours are quite happy being bribed with their normal food! It's amazing that because they don't know what's in your hand, it makes it soooo exciting!!  :lol:

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:39 »
Many thanks for all the helpful tips. I do talk to them so thanks Sue for the reminder to keep the voice down  :wacko:

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 12:48 »
I talk to mine all the time and don't give a stuff what the neighbours think  :D  Mine are a bit skittish and don't seem to like being handled so I don't force the issue. I get hold of them when I need to check them over for lodgers but that's about it. They are comfortable being close to me when I'm in the garden and cleaning them out etc so I'm happy just to let them get on with it

Caralou

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 15:09 »
My neighbours already think I've lost the plot so talking to the chooks makes no difference. I regularly stand outside discussing matters with the cats, chooks and rabbits  :wacko:

xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
question
Wet Chooks

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 10:09
by viettaclark
xx
What can chooks eat?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 17:37
by poultrygeist
xx
New Chooks

Started by judrop on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 20:27
by judrop

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 28 queries.