Buried Treasure

• 2 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Buried Treasure
« on: March 31, 2007, 21:49 »
:o I was moaning a few weeks ago for having to dig up all sorts of rubbish, broken glass, iron bars of all shapes and sizes, plastic, bramble roots etc, and I got lots of advice.
Well I put 4 metres sq down to a comfrey mound covered with the teram Shaun gave me and waiting for 20 comfrey plants which I've ordered by post.
This week I attacked the next area of unknown archeology and found BURIED TREASURE :!:
So far I've found 4 beds beautifully laid out in nice concrete bases. I dug most of the hard soil out and used it elsewhere and replaced it by muck/sand/compost and my wife is really pleased. She's already planted a beautiful baby bluberry tree in the smallest of the beds.
( Its latin name is given as "Vaccinium" .. which puzzles me ? something to do with cows ...... can anyone explain)
Anyway, I'm sure there's more to come and I just wanted to share the good news. I suppose I have unearthed the foundations from one or two greenhouses that were in use during world war one, and two!
But to me they really were buried treasure :D
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Buried Treasure
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 00:00 »
Well done Jim - just a point with blueberries. They are ericaceous which means they hate lime. You can buy special compost for them or use something like sulphate of ammonia to make the soil more acid.

Oh, and don't tell Tony Robinson or there will be trenches everywhere.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Buried Treasure
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 00:35 »
Quote from: "john"
Well done Jim - just a point with blueberries. They are ericaceous which means they hate lime. You can buy special compost for them or use something like sulphate of ammonia to make the soil more acid.

Oh, and don't tell Tony Robinson or there will be trenches everywhere.

Wow John, Many thanks. :?  :shock:  :D

We have planted a beautiful Magnolia  WHOOPS I meant Camelia  :oops: at the front gate in a nice big isolated bed of ericaceous compost, - it's blooms are now fantastic.
I had no idea about this for the blueberries. The garden Centre should have told us but SAVED BY YOUR WONDERFUL FORUM.

First thing tomorrow I will be down changing the bed.

Jim

xx
Which seedlings can be buried?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 20:55
by sunshineband
xx
Self-picking asparagus, squashed shallots, and a buried glove!

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 02:31
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 36 queries.