whats best to grow in raised beds

• 21 Replies

gidster

whats best to grow in raised beds
« on: May 07, 2009, 21:05 »
i ask because mines 2.5m by 1.6m and ive just put some cauliflowers in about a foot apart, so they have took up some space,i only put 6 in,lol

so what veg is best to go for , space wise

cheers

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: whats best to grow in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 21:17 »
In my one and only raised bed at home I grow carrots and parsnips - my plot is too stony even after a year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 21:33 »
In mine this year so far I have:-

Broad beans
Onions
Garlic
Three kinds of brassicas
Carrots
Beetroot
Mangetout
Peas
Loads of herbs
Radish

Lots to go in soon.  Salady stuff, chinese cabbage, pak choi etc.

I try to buy a small growing variety and pack them in tight and equidistant to each other.
Cheese makes everything better.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:21 »
I have my purple sprouting broccoli just finishing up, Swiss Chard, Beetroots, and carrots that were over wintered along with some Parsley and tarragon. And in the replanted bed I have my Courgettes, Patty pan squashes and Yellow courgettes planted along with some radish, lettuce and beans. In my Pea and Bean bead I have peas and beans planted. :) I do alot of raised beds here and containers. Lettuce growing in several pots too.

gidster

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 18:56 »
could i ask what size beds youve all got and how many, and when you say you pack things in tight is it ok to do that then?,because im wandering if thats what i should be doing instead of going by the book or is it just certain veg you can do it with

thanks

dawnj

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 19:03 »
If you pack them in would it make you veg smaller?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 19:52 »
Gidster, the maximum recommended size is 10' x 4' for a raised bed, so you can reach the middle without walking on it, and don't have to walk too far to get round it.

How many - how long's a piece of string, depends on how much room you've got  ::)

Dawnj - yes, if you plant them closer together you will probably get slightly smaller produce
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dawnj

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 19:59 »
yorkie....would that be still ok to pack together then ?

I have 6 cabbages,6 caulis, 6 broc, 4 b sprouts
not in bed yet...bed is 4 x 3
am I asking too much? ??? ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 20:11 »
 :blink: :blink: :blink:

All that in a bed 4 feet by 3 feet ?

I must confess I don't grow any of those (except red cabbages) so can't say how many would definitely fit in, but I think any one of those normally needs a couple of feet minimum per plant ...

hopefully someone else who knows about a) brassicas and b) raised beds will be along soon

dawnj

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 20:18 »
maybes 4 of all then if Im packing them in? :(

Bombers

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 20:19 »
yorkie....would that be still ok to pack together then ?

I have 6 cabbages,6 caulis, 6 broc, 4 b sprouts
not in bed yet...bed is 4 x 3
am I asking too much? ??? ???

In all honesty, yes. I would probably just about get 6 small Cauilis in that space.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 22:24 »
Far far too much, the sprouts would shade everything out for a start, choose your fave brassica veg and grow that( if youve decided on brassicas) ..next year you can do, for example, summer caulies followed by spring cabbages

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 07:56 »
Hello Gidster, I am still learning about this, but with RB's (Raised Beds) it's swings and roundabouts, they are great for some stuff, not so for others, and also great for some gardeners and gardens, whilst others hate them as a waste of resources.

I went for RB's because, I had the wood, I didn't want to tackle too large an area (Been there, done that) and I wanted to try them after years of traditional veg gardening.

I have 5 RB's of 12ft by 4ft and a sixth of 16 by 2.5ft divided into five smaller beds for veg/fruits like Courgette etc.

But I am lucky I also have other space, so I have a herb and salad area about the same size as a RB and a larger veg area (About two RB's in area) and you can add a greenhouse, conservatory, large cold frame and a large garden besides.

In my opinion with RB's you are limiting the area you use, but in exchange you have a lot more control of when you crop, so in theory you extend the season in exchange for volume.

You also exchange the harder physical work of a large plot, for the increased thought and micro management needed for a RB system.

For example I am only growing new Potatoes, but I have sowed them in groups of three seeds, planted a week apart for nearly two months, this should give me an eating of tatties fresh from the ground when they are at there dearest. During the winter I buy sacks of spuds from a farmer as they are cheaper than I can grow them (Up here they are). As the tatties are dug up they will be replaced by Leak's

I have all my Onions growing away at the same time, they store well, if I am clever and time it right, they will be harvested and I will replace them with Cabbage and Kale for winter/next spring eating (Planted with proper spacing for full size).

In my other beds it's a case of only sowing a few seeds at a time for cropping through the year. So I sow 5 Broad Beans, 7 turnip seeds, 7 Beetroot seeds etc but I will resow in seeds pots again in a few weeks. All my sowing is done in pots and I can manage (Hopefully) when I plant them and crop them with a lot more precision as I control the environment more than on a large plot. (Well that's the theory).

With Brassica's you do need to think a bit more about spacing, to get a Brussels Sprout to give you healthy sprouts, the plants do need space, they will grow if you crowd them but not really give you sprouts, as in what you see in a well spaced out bed, the same can be said of Caulie's, and hearting Cabbages, I think the plants have a "don't crowd me gene". You can grow Cabbage that don't heart or summer Cabbages at much closer spacing, but they would prefer more space if you can give it.

So you want to consider inter-cropping any larger Brassicas with fast growing cash crops like Lettuce started in pots so they are ready in weeks, small summer Carrots etc, or as Peapod says, try to grow smaller numbers spread through the year or put in another bed just for the Brassica overspill.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 08:47 »
I use the linkaboard system here and have three of those raised beds. Our garden is rather small and we don't have an allotment. So they fit in really nicely here. I also have another one of those type of things for my peas and beans. I tend to do alot of container type of growing as our garden is on the small side here.

We just installed them in September 2007 so I am still pretty much experimenting with what grows well in them. The bonus is I have plastic covers that fit over them too and then can grow things in the winter in them also. :) The photos below are of the recent planted bed. The other two, I have them in an inverted L shape in the sunny part of the garden, are yet to be planted for this season. I have some winter left overs still growing in them. Swiss chard, and purple sprouting broccoli, beet root and carrots. The one bed that is pictured I have my squashes Courgettes and pattypans in and am trying the square foot technique this time round. I also have beans, lettuces and radish and a few other things planted in it. This type of gardening is more intensive growing and does need lots of water and feeding. I refresh some of the compost with new from our compost bins and I also add other soil improvements like manure and some lime.

The tomatoes are in grow bags and potatoes in our potato barrel and grow sack. Peas and beans in the container behind the container growing my sweet corn. And one of my pick and come again lettuce pots. I grow things in succession here so that when one thing is finished I can stick another in it's place and also things don't come in all at once.

If you are interested I keep a sorta blog garden diary and I have info on my raised beds here. I also rescued a hedgehog over the winter so I have added that to my garden blog as they are very much a part of my garden.
http://ourgarden-pat.blogspot.com/2007/09/september-22nd-2007.html

Just wanted to add a thanks to Bob for the info on the sprouts and cabbages. I have some seedlings this year and was going to be giving them a try I will now know how to plant those in my garden here. :)
Dscf3357a.jpg
Dscf3356a.jpg
Dscf3361a.jpg
Dscf3362a.jpg
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:58 by Patricia »

gidster

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 09:56 »
thankyou everyone for all your replys :)

ive got my first raised bed all set up ill try and get a photo up. so today im going to have a go at setting another up. so is 2.5m x 1.6m a reasonably size?  tell you what they take some filling but luckly ive plenty of topsoil at work which as been dug from a farms field.

a quick one about carrots ,does growing them in raised beds eliminate carrot fly?

xx
grow bags or raised beds?

Started by poppie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 09:14
by Patricia
xx
Slow to grow in new raised beds

Started by crazypeanut on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 21:36
by Trikidiki
xx
how close can you grow in raised beds?

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 09:02
by Kristen
xx
Raised beds not in full sun - will things still grow?

Started by Summer08 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:12
by Yorkie

Page created in 1.122 seconds with 28 queries.