Newbie question: cooler nights ahead in Glasgow

• 1 Replies

jamesbrownontheroad

Newbie question: cooler nights ahead in Glasgow
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:27 »
Not a wonderful week for personal co-ordination: I've managed to go away from home and taken the allotment key with me. So my g/f is at home and is hoping to get up there when someone else is around.

However, could we have some thoughts please on this forecast...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Glasgow

So no air temps below freezing but the rather enigmatic 'feels like' temp that factors in humidity and windchill is saying colder.

The nighttime temperature is dropping again and we're not quite sure of the best precautions. Potatoes have now pushed on through and have leaf spreads about the size of a side plate. We transplated some lettuce seedlings out of the seedbed and they're now in plastic bottle cloches. Garlic, shallots and onions are all pushing along nicely, and some tentative brussels sprouts and celery seedlings are in a seedbed.

With this forecast, what should we be covering with fleece or cardboard? And would a layer of straw do the trick for some of the plants (there's a big pile adjacent to our site).

Thanks for any input, my cluelessness salutes you...  :wacko:

paintedlady

Re: Newbie question: cooler nights ahead in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46 »
Garlic, onions & shallots should be fine, brussels & lettuce manage well under cold conditions but might need  a bit of protection if there is frost forecast especially if they are still seedlings.  Potatoes should be your biggest worry - earth them up.  Straw as an alternate is good especially if it is just a surface frost, but watch out for slugs and other bugs that might hide in there before covering delicate plants  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
thinking ahead-dark nights

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2006, 23:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
shaded, cooler corner

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 20:45
by mashbintater
xx
Glasgow Potato Day

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 19:22
by DD.
xx
Manure delivery Glasgow?

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 19:26
by Weens12

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 28 queries.