Anyone made their own liquid manure? And if so is it effective

• 11 Replies

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Hello
Read somewhere to cut nettles and keep in water to turn into liquid manure.  Have been stirring mine for about 2 weeks and I think this is about the tme to use it.  It smells absolutely foul.
So has anyone else used this and was it a cheap and effective way of manuring? ???

compostqueen

liquid manure is made from manure. If you make a brew from nettles it's called "tea" as is comfrey treated in the same way.  It's all very good stuff but has to be diluted as it will be very strong. 1:20 usually    I think it's the way to go as artificial feed is dear and I don't think it does the soil any good in the long term. Also it's easy to over feed and get sappy growth which is so beloved of aphids

green fingers

• Experienced Member

Just checked my gadening book and it says to dilute 1:4.

So not sure who is right on this.

Trillium

Manure tea is not a specific science, it's just approximates. Dilute it to the strength you feel comfortable with as everyone's batch will differ in strength.

Nettle tea can be made in a similar way but needs longer to ferment. Comfrey tea is also excellent. Check out John's excellent article on the merits.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/comfrey.PDF

compostqueen

I think specifically it's comfrey 1:20 but if it's the colour of weak tea it should be ok

I'm not a scientist  :D as you perhaps guessed  :wacko:

noshed

Don't splosh it about just before you are going to eat your sandwiches though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yabba

Don't splosh it about just before you are going to eat your sandwiches though.

Does the volume of splosh matter? ... and is any particular sandwich more susceptible? :roll:

That's about as scientific as I can bear :D

¥

compostqueen

:D

Faz

• Experienced Member
I just made my first batch of liquid manure yeasterday and managed to spill it all over my trousers before I had figured out a decent way of separating the solids from the liquid - I ended up using a cat littler tray (one of the ones with several sections that allows you to separate the cat poop from the clean litter).

I am glad it wasn't comfrey tea that got spilled on my trousers otherwise i would have been banned from the house!

compostqueen

yep, stinks a treat doesn't it. Mind you it fades - eventually  :)   I make mine in a pipe attached to my shed. Stuffing the pipe with loads of comfrey leaves and ramming them down is very therapeutic  :D  You get a slow drip into a catcher underneath.

Idra

You can also use a hessian sack, either for manure or leaves. Fill it up tie the neck (leave string long enough to reach outside container) and use like a giant tea bag.
No such thing as a bad beer, its just some are better than others.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
I made a batch of comfrey tea but I'm afraid I haven't had the stomach to do it again  :tongue2:
My plan for this year (for my toms anyway) is to  plant them in a trench, scatter chopped comfrey along the trench and water into this, topping up the comfrey as it rots. Good plan?
Rachael

xx
lhome made liquid fertilser

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 21:36
by flitwickone
xx
Home made liquid feed, uses.

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 08:23
by potatogrower
xx
Home made liquid feed?

Started by coldandwindy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2021, 11:59
by al78
xx
Home made liquid feed for tomatoes?

Started by richard2510 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:13
by stompy

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 31 queries.