French Beans

• 5 Replies

Lazy Daisy

French Beans
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:07 »
I have tried the dwarf type of French Beans and had no success I am going to try the climbing ones in a big round tub I have ( 2' across 1'6" deep) I live in West Yorkshire and it is too cold to sow in situ so I am going to start them off in doors and plant out later in the month.  What type would be the best for this and how many to the tub (was thinking 4)  and any growing tips would be appreciated coz these are one of a fav veggies.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: French Beans
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02 »
Cobra is a very popular one, not too much Nitrogen as they convert it from the air and you need to keep the roots cool and keep well watered, protected from the wind,other than that there are pretty easy.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 19:14 »
They like a bean-trench (dig down two spits, put in a spit of compost, shredded paper or manure, then fill in) for extra moisture.  In a pot, I'd add water-retaining granules or something.  They also need shelter from the wind (I reckon that's why I lost mine last year - the allotment site is more windswept than I realised!).

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 20:48 »
hi daisy, just interested in what went wrong with your dwarf beans as that's what I'm growing ( I'm growing Tasman) and I'm in your neck of the woods.

thanks

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 18:52 »
Stick the canes near the centre pointing outwards. Secure the top with an old bike rim. The plants can be sown near the edge of the tub and you may find room for five or six.
I agree with stripey_cat, you must have plenty of water storage in the soil. Expect to water these every day when the pods are developing. They are very thirsty.

Possible reason for the dwarf beans:- they need higher temp to germinate and they do not tolerate cold in any way.

Lazy Daisy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 20:05 »
just sown my blue lake in peat pots in my indoor greenhouse, yes that is right. My husband built it for me in the cellar. It is a frame covered in bubble with daylight bulbs and an anti feeze heater. Last year I sowed them outside in large pots and they were rubbish. Better luck this year I hope. I am one of the very unfortunate few who do not have an allotment hey ho. All our experiences would be appreciated.   

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 36 queries.