Type of surface

• 7 Replies

BigMark

Type of surface
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:28 »
Hi all
Cleaning up after my little ones is no problem but it would be good if I could put something on the grass to help clear up.
I have heard people talk of bark, is this the same stuff you get at the garden centre "decorative bark"?  I have also seen rubber chips, any comments on these?
Cheers
Mark

poultrygeist

Re: Type of surface
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29 »
Hi Mark.

In answer, yes it is but be careful what sort. I go for the softwood bark as large as poss because the hardwood might be a bit splintered and angular for their feet.

I think there was some talk about the rubber chips a while ago. Not sure if anyone is using them though. In principle, I can't think of a reason why not other than the smell. :D

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35 »
there was an article about rubber chippings in Practical Poultry! It said they stopped mud (if used with a weed membrane underneath) and you just hosed them down when you needed! but do agree with rob, think it would smell after a bit. i use soil, gravel (which was already there) and bark chips and dig it over regularly adding more bark ontop after!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigMark

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25 »
bark chips and dig it over regularly adding more bark ontop after!
I heard that bark chips contain something that was bad for chucks (spores) is this not the case?
Cheers
M

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:11 »

we bought some bark chippings from B&Q last week but it seemed mouldy, white bits all over so we haven't put that down for the girls, going to take it over the allotment for the paths.  We use elephant grass (miscanthus) which we bought from the farm where we
got our chickens, does the job nicely, rake it up every few days and put it on the compost, I use this inside the coop as well  :)

BigMark

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 19:10 »
Well I have ordered 40kg of rubber chips from these guys (www.sitr.com) for £27. I plan to make an insert tray the length of the run to contain the chips (weed barrier underneath) so I can still lift the romney 305 off to deep clean the run area.

I'll take some pics when I do it and let you know how I get on

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 19:14 »
we have bark down, the same as you get from the garden centre, it is washed down at night to get rid of runny poos, and when it has had its use, it will be composted.

seems to work as the corn we put in for them the scratch about in the bark for, keeps them occupied for ages

martyn

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 19:28 »
bark chips and dig it over regularly adding more bark ontop after!
I heard that bark chips contain something that was bad for chucks (spores) is this not the case?
Cheers
M
Think the mould is actually mushroom whatsits (cant remember what its called but it the little threads that live in soil and bark that then produces mushrooms/fungi!) i found the same once in a bag of bark and it smelt of fresh mushrooms!
put it down and girls are fine!

xx
Run Surface...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 15:50
by smiler43
xx
Chicken run surface

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:09
by mamashango184
xx
Chicken Poo & Run surface & Mulch on Gardeners’ Question Time

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 20:11
by nicchick
question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 28 queries.