A Basic Question

• 12 Replies

parson

• Experienced Member
A Basic Question
« on: April 25, 2009, 23:34 »
This might sound like a really sillly question, but here goes....

Do I need to close my chucks in at night, then let them out into the run in the morning, or can I leave the hatch open and they will be OK. I dont have my chickens yet and was jusyt wondering. Also what do I do if I'm going away for a couple of nights? Can I ,likewise, leave the hatch open to let tham in and out of the run as they please, do I close the hatch and lock them in the coop, or do I need to get someone to come up to let them out then close them in?

These are the things I'm worrying about as the time for the arrival of my chucks draws near!!

raeburg

Re: A Basic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 23:55 »
Depends on how fox and rodent proof the run is.  Personally I like the opportunity to give then a look over at least twice a day as they are going to roost and getting up.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:13 »
I agree with Raeburg. I bet a neighbour would jump at the chance to look after your hens in exchange for any eggs they lay.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22 »
Personally I wouldn't risk leaving the pophole open but that's just me.  It doesn't take 2 mins to shut them in and it's safer. 

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 17:55 »
Thanks for all your help. We will defo be closing it when we are home. We wher just wondering if it could be left open when we go camping for a couple of nights.

I think that our neebs will nip in no probs to do it in exchange for any fresh eggs they find!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 18:24 »
Hi parson. If you intend to leave them for a couple of nights, make sure you get a neighbour to check on them, refill the water and food and make sure all is well.

If the water leaks out 10 minutes after you leave, it would be highly unpleasant for the hens for a couple of days.

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 18:37 »
I have a small fox proof run so I leave the pophole open so they can get out in the morning if I have a lie in at the weekend. The usually free-range during the day but if I am out for a day they can look after themselves even if it is not as much space as I would like for them. I have lost ducks to foxes before. I would never leave the pophole open if you are not 100% sure the run is secure. Foxes can dig, chew through chicken wire and clear a 6 foot fence in a heartbeat. Be very careful. They will surprise you and it is not something you want to wake up to, trust me.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 20:08 »
I think the run is fox proof. It is 5m x 2m, roofed and is made from heavy duty mesh that I need a stihl saw to cut as it took the teeth off the hacksaw, so I dont THINK foxes coulod chew through it. I also have the mesh at 90 degrees comming out under the turf to stop them digging in.

So, as I say, I THINK the run is fox proof, but I'll err on the side of caution for a while anyway!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 20:13 »
I refer to mine as predator resistant and have really had to hunt closely for where things have gotten through from time to time. Granted it's only been twice in over ten years but that is twice too many. Didn't lose any birds though and that is the important thing.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 20:22 »
Whats the roof like?

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 20:27 »
Pent, wooden and covered in felt.

Should I be worried?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 20:28 »
As long as the roof to the run is covered you should be ok.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 21:13 »
I only close mine in november due to fireworks as they take it in turns to roost outside. As said b4 you must take precautions i have 3 waterers 1x5 litre 2x3 litre between 11 girls i always check my girls am pm when working and more so at weekends. Just remember because they get up and go to bed on their own you must never become lazy or complacent their well-being is your responsibility.
And now on a lighter note enjoy your girls and have you decided on which breed/breeds your having.

xx
Basic Question I think

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 15:26
by joyfull
xx
Basic equipment

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 12:32
by bastonjock
xx
Probably one of the most basic questions....

Started by TheModfather on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 16:14
by poultrygeist
question
Basic sanitary regime

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 16:06
by beulah59

Page created in 0.87 seconds with 30 queries.