Possibly stupid pumpkin question?

• 5 Replies

littlebabynothing

Possibly stupid pumpkin question?
« on: April 24, 2009, 21:49 »
This year I thought I would grow my own veg and am currently setting up a veg patch at the bottom of my garden. I'm a complete novice and really I'm just learning mostly by trial and error. I've planted a few seeds and put them in one of those plastic growhouses. I've not had much luck so far, but I have managed to grow 2 Pumpkins (although one has been mauled by my toddler and is minus a leaf! but is still alive and growing!)
I know that Pumpkins need a fairly large space to grow, but I was just wondering if it was one Pumpkin per plant?! as I've already sown a few other pumpkin seeds as well. I know its a possible stupid question, but I was thinking it'd be a one in a million chance if anything I grow this year makes it to the table (so to speak!)
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Possibly stupid pumpkin question?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 22:00 »
How many they set per plant varies with variety and the weather. Do you remember which variety you sowed?  But all of them do better of course in a good summer :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 22:03 »
If you want a big pumpkin for the little one, then let it set a few and keep an eye on them, when they are growing nicely then take off all but the two best ones, leave it a fortnight and then take off the smallest one left. Then pamper the last one until its HUGE! :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

littlebabynothing

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 22:18 »
Thanks so much! as a complete novice any hints and tips are very useful! I brought the seeds from Wilko's, but I've mislaid the packet they came in!
I'm glad to know that they may produce more than one pumpkin as they are not only under fire from the usual pests and bugs they also have to deal with 2 toddlers and a 7 yr old!
Fingers crossed that at least one pumpkin makes it to the end of October!
Thanks again!!

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 22:21 »
Normal, small-to-medium winter squashes can carry about 4-6 fruits in our climate, and need the tip pinched out after that to stop them trying to grow more leaves or flowers instead of ripening the fruit already set.  Really tiny ones (the sorts you can lift in one hand) can manage more fruits, and larger types are best with only two or three fruits.  As someone suggested, aiming for giants, it's best to gradually cull down to your single best fruit.

Do the little-uns like beans?  Climbing French beans are almost bomb-proof (there are a couple of fairly rare diseases, and a few pests that aren't normally serious) so long as you don't put them somewhere too windy or let the frost get to them.  Cobra is a really sweet, tasty variety, and Blauhilde has dark purple pods for variety (there are some yellow sorts too, but I've not tried them yet!).  You grow them just like runner beans, but they're less fussy about pollination and setting fruit.

littlebabynothing

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:26 »
Bomb Proof veggies sounds like a plan! I'll look into that, thanks a lot :)

xx
stupid pumpkin

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 17:20
by vanessa.xx
xx
Tromboncino squash - possibly a question for mum

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 22:42
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Probably a really stupid question, sorry!

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 14:08
by compostqueen
xx
Another stupid question

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 08:17
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 32 queries.