Electric poultry netting and cats

• 1 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Electric poultry netting and cats
« on: April 23, 2009, 19:21 »
Ok, our fault, we lost a hen today.  They have always been very free range (tried to walk to the pub 2 miles away when we first got them!) and we have always loved it, but... we have always knows there was a risk and today it happened.  Mr Fox got our favourite hen (actaully I don't think she was terribly well which is maybe why he got her).  We really cannot be so reckless with our hens anymore and cannot be so selfish (we love them wandering about and helping us garden).  I am loath to up up a permenant structure mostly as we are likely to move house in the near future and it would be a pain, also we don't have much of an area we could fence off permenantly.  So I am quite keen on the electic netting idea, however we have two cats and I am not sure if having pets contraindicates having electric netting.  I am sure they after one jolt they won't go near it again but I don't want that one jolt to be harmful to them!

Any advice on electric poultry netting and cats very welcome please.

Thanks

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Electric poultry netting and cats
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 19:28 »
Ok, our fault, we lost a hen today.  They have always been very free range (tried to walk to the pub 2 miles away when we first got them!) and we have always loved it, but... we have always knows there was a risk and today it happened.  Mr Fox got our favourite hen (actaully I don't think she was terribly well which is maybe why he got her).  We really cannot be so reckless with our hens anymore and cannot be so selfish (we love them wandering about and helping us garden).  I am loath to up up a permenant structure mostly as we are likely to move house in the near future and it would be a pain, also we don't have much of an area we could fence off permenantly.  So I am quite keen on the electic netting idea, however we have two cats and I am not sure if having pets contraindicates having electric netting.  I am sure they after one jolt they won't go near it again but I don't want that one jolt to be harmful to them!

Any advice on electric poultry netting and cats very welcome please.

Thanks

It will certainly prevent them going near the netting again, but it won't harm them.  I used electric fencing for my sheep, and my dogs and cats only got a "buzz" once, and didn't go near it again.  I used the orange squared netting which gives a stronger jolt than the ones you buy for chickens. 
Just don't you try to straddle it to get over into the run when it's switched on!!!!!!!
Ouch!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

xx
Cats and electric fencing

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 18:11
by SusieB
xx
Electric netting....

Started by Diva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 10:39
by Foxy
xx
Electric Poultry Fencing

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 12:08
by looby
clip
Poultry fencing/netting

Started by Ema on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2020, 19:40
by greenjay

Page created in 0.597 seconds with 30 queries.