Courgette advice please

• 41 Replies

Elcie

Re: Courgette advice please
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 18:44 »
Has anyone ever grown courgettes in a tyre?  I have a couple on the plot and looking at what I can put in them.  Is it too small for a courgette?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 19:53 »
I'd probably stack a couple high in order to give sufficient depth for the roots (and to help it not dry out too much) but otherwise I think it's worth a go, yes.  They are hungry so make sure you add loads of chicken poo and fertiliser - or whatever else you have to hand
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 20:20 »
I have some fertiliser someone gave me from a wormery (basically worm wee!) and some comfrey liquid.  Either of these any good?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 20:39 »
Both will be ok (make sure they are properly diluted though or you'll burn your plants). 

However, as they are liquids, they don't persist in the soil so you'd need to re-apply every so often.  Slow-release granules like growmore or FBB break down and release nutrients over a longer period of time.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 23:06 »
Grew courgettes intyres last yewar with the children at school -- some were two tyres high and some were three -- too many courgettes to eat from six plants !!!  :D Filled up the tyres with donated growbags
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 23:11 »
Im asking for advice on this thread too please  :D

I havent grown them before and hadnt realised they needed a square metre per plant. I was going to have two plants in that space - one for courgettes and one for the big marrow that OH wants to grow. Can I pick normal size courgettes off one plant while leaving a courgette on the same plant to grow to marrow size?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 23:14 »

I havent grown them before and hadnt realised they needed a square metre per plant. I was going to have two plants in that space - one for courgettes and one for the big marrow that OH wants to grow. Can I pick normal size courgettes off one plant while leaving a courgette on the same plant to grow to marrow size?
Sorry Peapod but this is not necessarily going to happne. Once the courgette plant has set proper developing seeds (ie growing a marrow) it stops flowering and so won't produce nay more courgettes. Last year one of ours in the tyres got a courgette left on, hidden under the leaves and this is what happened.

Maybe you could grow one plant unitl you have enough courgettes and then let one last one become a marrow? They do grow quick  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 23:19 »
OO good idea SB! Thanks!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 23:23 »
You're welcome  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 23:25 »
5 courgettes planted out about five days ago...into a cold-frame.... fleece at the ready!

Had lots of seeds so taking a chance... warmer by the sea  :)

Back-ups in pots and miles behind the first batch.

Courgette soup again  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 13:49 »
Do they require sunshine or will they be okay in part shade can anyone advice please?
Cheers. :)
Mad Mark

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 14:15 »

Sorry Peapod but this is not necessarily going to happne. Once the courgette plant has set proper developing seeds (ie growing a marrow) it stops flowering and so won't produce nay more courgettes. Last year one of ours in the tyres got a courgette left on, hidden under the leaves and this is what happened.

Maybe you could grow one plant unitl you have enough courgettes and then let one last one become a marrow? They do grow quick  :D

Unless you can make a raised bed and let them trail down the side?
or trailing in from somewhere else?
It's not the roots that need the space, it's the foliage, so if you can dig in the roots somewhere else, as long as there is room for the foliage to spread, you should be okay with 2 plants.
that's the only way i'd risk leaving a marrow on.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 14:44 »
I can certainly find a place for the foliage..I thought it was root that needed the spread...could I tie them up a fence that is very sturdy?

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 19:11 »
Trailing courgettes? I'm not sure they do a great deal  ???

I just bung them either straight on the plot (with enough room) or plonk them in a raised box much closer than 1m square per plant.I plant them near the edge of the box / bed and they dangle happily over.

My father has 5 in a standard sized cold-frame.... they will make it despite only having half or less than the recommended space.... just makes harvesting more interesting::)

I don't think you could tie them up very much as they appear to have more of a bush habit...  :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 19:20 »
I've never grown trailing courgettes, only the bush varieties. Am going to attempt some in Morrison flower buckets this year (at home so can keep them well fed/watered) but have most at school on the plot.

Maybe they are like other trailing squashes though and could be tied up .....

xx
Courgette advice

Started by gardenangel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 17:46
by gardenangel
xx
Courgette advice

Started by marispiper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 16:08
by Ice
xx
Planting Out Courgette/Squash Advice Sought

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 20:03
by missmoneypenny
xx
is it a courgette

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 17:23
by starry

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 36 queries.