Planting Out Courgette/Squash Advice Sought

• 9 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Planting Out Courgette/Squash Advice Sought
« on: May 30, 2012, 13:07 »
Time to roll the dice and transplant from pot my courgettes and one squash into my plot.

I have dug a number of small pits, filled in with compost and will be planting into them, what I am unsure of is how to best protect them, as they still smallish, even though in full leaf.

Was thinking of placing a clear plastic tray (ones used for fruit in supermarket) over the top, but wonder if that may over cook them on a sunny day?

Any ideas most welcome on how to best to nurture/protect these little fellers?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Planting Out Courgette/Squash Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 13:45 »

I normally peg down a cylinder of chicken wire about 14 " high and the same in diameter for the first few weeks.

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 13:50 »
I am not sure you need to protect them against frost now - you are only up the road from me and a couple of my courgettes have been out for about three weeks now and OK (the others are in a coldframe with no lid on it and will be planted out this weekend.  

The only threat they may have is from slugs and snails.  I usually cut the top and bottom off a clear plastic bottle to form a protective collar around vulnerable plants and sprinkle just a couple of pellets inside to protect against slugs in the soil.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 13:51 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 13:58 »
Agree with Angelavdavis - they are a bit of slug magnet when first planted out, although in the past I managed to lose a part-grown courgette plant which rocked to and fro so much in the wind it twisted the stem off (a strategically-inserted short stick fixes that problem.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 14:58 »
As JayG says, wind is the biggest enemy now until they gowing and get established.

Mine have been out for a few weeks now and seem to be happy enough.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45 »
Polythene over hoops pushed into ground.
Large plastic bottles from water fountains.
2 old window frames to form a clotch with the ends covered in polythene.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:51 »
I covered mine with the first thing to hand which was a large galvo sieve. Just to keep the birds off it til it got going  :)

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34 »
How long should I harden off my courgettes? Am planning on planting them out under cloches but to keep them open at both ends to allow some ventilation.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 14:41 »
At least a week, although it does depend on weather conditions, especially the expected weather when you plant them out - last week you might have got away with planting straight out under cloches, but conditions look much less favourable now.......

Don't leave the cloches on for too long - even with the ends open you might restrict the access of pollinating insects, increase the humidity which can lead to getting mildew earlier than they otherwise would, and of course make the all-important watering that much harder.

Don't forget slug protection when first planted out, although they should be safe when they have grown larger.  :)

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 20:03 »
I didn't put any protection down save for slug pellets then found one or two were snapped. I  think a fox uses my plot as a corridor and have noticed one of my neighbours  who's very experienced and has a great  plot despite not being in the best of health, had surrounded his with lots of bendy and often prickly branches, kind of bent over the little plants. I surmised it's to deter foxes and have done the same, so far with success.

xx
Planting courgette, pumpkin and squash seedlings

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 11:05
by AndyArch
xx
Pea variety advice sought please

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 19:20
by Totty
xx
Broccoli Advice Sought

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:44
by sunshineband
xx
pumpkin advice sought.

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:22
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.