Copper Black Marans.

• 2 Replies

Elyssian

Copper Black Marans.
« on: April 20, 2009, 21:42 »
After months of thinking about keeping a few hens I was sort of given a push by agreeing to rehome a cockerel. He's a Copper black Marans and I've fallen completely in love with the breed because of him. After much searching I've managed to locate a breeder not too far away who has half a dozen CBM pullets for sale and I'm off to pick them up on Saturday. Is this a good breed to start with do you think? If I'm honest my initial thoughts were perhaps for a few hybrids or maybe a trio of RIRs, but circumstances sort of took over. Is there anything I should be aware of concerning this breed?

Foxy

Re: Copper Black Marans.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 21:46 »
you wont go far wrong with marans, a nice  hardy breed and should lay  a good number of very brown eggs.
Just have a good look when you pick up your new girls that they all look shiny and healthy with bright eyes, a busy nature and clean bottoms! :tongue2:

Elyssian

Re: Copper Black Marans.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 21:59 »
That's great, Foxy. Thanks. Good to know that they're hardy too as they're going to be kept on an exposed Northern allotment and I'll admit it was a worry. Their new house has been well constructed so should be nice and snug, but I wanted them to largely free range so hardiness is important. At the moment the cockerel is being kept in a small broody coop (with a run extension) that we borrowed as I had the idea that it would be best to put them all into the new house at the same time, is that the right thing to do?
I'm finding getting information on the breed to be quite difficult. I've googled, obviously, but the egg colour is so spectacular that it seems to be all anyone wants to talk about.
Thank you also for the tips for when I buy them... never thought I'd be examining a chicken's bum  :ohmy: .... at least, not without a packet of paxo at the ready.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 22:14 by Elyssian »

xx
Copper Black Marans wanted

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:08
by Tartuffe
xx
Copper Marans First Eggs

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 17:46
by Sassy
xx
French Copper Blue Marans

Started by gsc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 12:46
by gsc
xx
Point of Lay? RIR & French Copper Marans

Started by pjarty on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:41
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 36 queries.