Copper Marans First Eggs

• 7 Replies

Prod

Copper Marans First Eggs
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:22 »
 ;)Seasons Greetings All!!

Last week I found a beautiful dark brown, almost purple, egg in a pot in the shed (overwintering plants)  It was obviously from my Copper Maran, Moira, who I bought in August as a POL.  I was a bit suprised because of the weather etc and the fact that I am only getting about one egg every other day from my Bluebell who hasnt finished moulting yet. All the other five have moulted but have stopped laying.  Today I went to the paddock, to give them a little treat (well it is Christmas ;))  but I couldnt find Moira anywhere. I searched all over and I finally heard a slight noise. Clawing my way through the undergrowth  I found her very calmly sat on 15 eggs!!!!!!!    I picked her up and put her with the others.  Now  assuming she lays one a day will these eggs be fresh enough to use and how do I get her to lay in the coop as the others do!!   By the way the eggs are the most fabulous shades of dark brown/almost purple  Cheers :blink:

helens-hens

Re: Copper Marans First Eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 13:33 »
Just thought this is a lovely story - well done Moira!

Not sure about the freshness as she may not necessarily have laid 1 a day being a traditional breed. Would the old method of putting each egg in a glass of water & seeing if it sinks or not be an indicator? I am sure I have read somewhere that shop bought eggs can be something like 2-3 weeks old by the time they reach your fridge so Moira's eggs may well be OK.

I am not sure about how to get her to lay eggs in the nest box seeing as she has decided not even to lay anywahere near the hen house - I am sure somebody will be along to advise soon.
Helen

Prod

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 13:52 »
Hi Helen  yes Ive just checked with 'Delia' :D and tried the egg in water test. All but one was fine but one was cracked so I put it down to that. Funnily enough (& dont shout)  I had to buy 6 eggs over Christmas because I was getting too few. Out of curiosty I tested those and all three that were left were 'off' according to the test.  Delia suggested another test where you crack open the egg on a plate or something flat, if the white is runny/watery they are going off but if the white is thick & stays near the yolk then they are OK. I did this test with the 3 shop bought ones, not only were they runny the yolks were almost white compared to Moira's.  We live and learn eh??   I found a posting on this site earlier in the year telling us how to store eggs (as I had been keeping all my neighbours in free eggs)  so I have whisked & bagged 12 (2 in a bag)  and frozed them....  Thank you whoever posted that tip , I cant remember who ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 17:48 »
Think it was Joyfull.   :blink:

I wouldn't take the runny whites as off eggs, some young birds have runny whites in very fresh eggs.  There is I believe 2 different bits to the white not sure what it is and why but some knowledgable person might let us know.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 18:26 »
Another way to tell the freshness of an egg is that when it is cracked open a really fresh egg has a yolk that stands high whereas with an older egg the yolk is flatter.

With the frozen eggs just remember when thawed they will be the consistency of custard - I always add a drop of water to them and then re-whisk  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 18:41 »
Thanks  I ll remember that.  Does this mean she is broody  or just that she prefers to lay outside the coop?? :wacko:

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09 »
I cant comment on how broody she is, but I had a hen who would lay eggs anywhere, the grand kids loved playing 'hunt the egg'

On the subject of shop bought eggs, I have found them a very pale shadow of eggs laid by your own hens

I really dont like shop bought ehggs, but when you have no hens or waiting for them to start, there is no other option

Marans of any kind lay great eggs ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 17:46 »
I lost all my birds in a flood in September and have had to resort to buying eggs. As I live in the country I have been buying in farm shops/gates and on the roadside. They still are nothing like my eggs. The yolks are all smaller. I can only assume that the birds are hybrids and mine were a selection of rare breeds. Most frustrating as there is less yolk for my soldiers! :lol: :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Copper Black Marans.

Started by Elyssian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:59
by Elyssian
xx
French Copper Blue Marans

Started by gsc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 12:46
by gsc
xx
Point of Lay? RIR & French Copper Marans

Started by pjarty on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:41
by Fisherman
xx
Copper Black Marans wanted

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:08
by Tartuffe

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 37 queries.