Compost Don'ts

• 66 Replies

Mr McGregor

Re: Compost Don'ts
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2009, 08:09 »
I put in citrus fruit, dog hair, contents of the hoover bag, the bag is then shredded and goes in to.
I have a regular supply of horse manure, which I use between layers of green, along with shredded paper and cardboard.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2009, 09:06 »
My late MIL (bless her) always told me never to put fruit (and I guess veg) peelings on my compost of stuff that hasn't grown in this country. She said that we didn't have the necessary bacteria in the air or soil to rot the stuff down. As a result, I don't compost citrus peel or bananas. Someone suggested that their avocado skins took a long time to break down. I wonder if this is why....

What do others think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2009, 09:15 »
I don't tend to put citrus peel on the heap in any quantity as it tends to be a bit acidic (and I don't eat much citrus  ::) ) but bananas go on with no problems. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2009, 12:57 »
In our "home" compost heap we put in almost everything that is organic. If it has not completely decayed it is put in again at the bottom when the heap is emptied.

After the second visit to the heap there's usually no sign of it.

All veg peelings from the kitchen go in including citrus peel..... we use a shredder for woody material from the garden. It makes for zero cost brilliant compost. All this is added to the garden.

Our garden is several inches higher than the neighbours on either side (as we have been doing this for about 20 years) so we have concrete gravelboards to protect fences and fantastic looking, healthy plants.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2009, 14:09 »
Have you come across Bokashi composting at all? You can put quite a lot more in them than in a conventional composter. Here is a link to one supplier, though there are plenty of others, and lots more information about it on the web. http://www.eco-worrier.net/composting.html[url] Idea for flat-dwellers!
Rachael

Paul Plots

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2009, 22:37 »
My father-in-law (always one for trying out something new) gave us something similar as he had tired of it. It was fine but too small.  :(

We have two compost-heaps at home each around 1.5m square and able to take piles on top. Down on the plot I have two much bigger heaps surrounded by corrugated iron sides. The heat in them is amazing even in the winter and they produce some extremely useful compost.   :)  A decent sized compost heap has got to be a must!

Although the one you have linked to is good – as you say probably suitable for someone with very limited space. 

iwantanallotment

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 01:46 »
I don't add citrus waste simply because I know worms don't like it - and worms are a big part of any compost heap  :)

Same with the onion family.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 37 queries.