Compost Don'ts

• 66 Replies

iwantanallotment

Re: Compost Don'ts
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 22:53 »
Bob Flowerdew puts roadkill & other dead animals in his  :ohmy:

I'd really have to draw the line at that.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 23:00 »
No problem, just have a plastic bag in the car for when you manage to hit something.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 23:40 »
I don't ever plan to hit anything, oldbean.

And if by some tragic event I did, it certainly wouldn't be put in my compost bin to fester, and be shovelled about as it's turned  :tongue2:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2009, 00:20 »

And if by some tragic event I did, it certainly wouldn't be put in my compost bin to fester, and be shovelled about as it's turned  :tongue2:

Shiver!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

iwantanallotment

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2009, 00:49 »
have a plastic bag in the car for when you manage to hit something.

Apart from popping the corpse into compost bins to fester, I'm really offended by the above statement.

"MANAGE" to hit something?  What kind of mentality, apart from teenage boys after their first pint, thinks this way? ie to go out deliberately trying to mow something down?

Are old ladies fair game? I hear they're very slow jumping lights, and would make a ton of compost per corpse....

OK, I've said my bit and going away now. Soz for overreacting, but I actually knew people who thought this way and it's not good  :(

If i misread you oldbean I apologise - but don't think I did. That word "manage" said it all.

Paul Plots

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 01:26 »
I discovered a dead rat just below the soil  :tongue2: as I forked through a new plot during the early spring. I can only imagine that it had been in the compost that I loaded from the compost heap into my wheelbarrow and then dug in during the winter.

Tail appeared first then the rest of it... I was so pleased I had discovered it with the fork and not when I was digging out small planting holes for something like broad-bean plants as I often do this with my hands if the soil is friable...

Dead anything, if you come across it mixed in with the compost, is not that pleasant  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 06:07 »
Quote from: iwantanallotment
If i misread you oldbean I apologise - but don't think I did. That word "manage" said it all.

Yes you did misread, and your reply told volumes. This is only a forum, what happens in real life when you object to something said?

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 06:11 »

Really? I plan not to hit things.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2009, 06:22 »

Yes you did misread, and your reply told volumes. This is only a forum, what happens in real life when you object to something said?

I read it the same way. "Manage" is a deliberate act, "Accidentally" would have been a far better choice of wording.

Please keep replies on a friendly level.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:24 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2009, 14:53 »
I think oldbean may be heading for the compost heap too  ::)

gameman

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2009, 18:21 »
I say that because we dont compost at home (live in a flat with no means to compost)

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2009, 18:58 »
Don't know whether ants in the compost are good or not but they don't "harvest" aphids as someone suggests; they farm them.  i.e. they collect the honeydew that the aphids produce from sucking on the plant sap & in return they offer some protection from predators, not sure whether it's a true symbiotic relationship but it's close enough  ;)

rideandy

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2009, 19:15 »
Don't know whether ants in the compost are good or not but they don't "harvest" aphids as someone suggests; they farm them.  i.e. they collect the honeydew that the aphids produce from sucking on the plant sap & in return they offer some protection from predators, not sure whether it's a true symbiotic relationship but it's close enough  ;)

Great thanks

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2009, 21:33 »
OK this is probably a really stupid question but could you add the pelleted chicken manure or would it not help things at all?

I don't have chooks  :( so I don't have any fresh stuff!

Do you have any horses around? I did a deal with a lady with donkeys near us, swapped some fresh veg for a few bags of donkey manure which is nicely rotting away in a corner now :)

Shamps

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2009, 23:52 »
re:the ants.   I was just having a little read of my gardening book and noticed just a bit about ants and how the building of an ants nest aerates the soil (but may kill the plant above)

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 28 queries.