Asbestos,

• 19 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Re: Asbestos,
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 23:23 »
Gosh,
I've got a whole run of corregated asbestos roofing as a fence running the whole side to my plot. Is this a danger or is it fine if it is still intact? I wouldn't have the time to paint it, and removal would be somewhat akward. This has been there for quite a few years I would imagine.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 00:50 »
hi. if it were mine. i would firstly paint a  pva/water mix after rain. then paint it with an all weather paint. no risk to you and a perfectly good roof

I think painting might be a reasonable step to take to help keep the asbestos in good condition – but probably only for added peace of mind. In confined places there is a higher risk of inhaling asbestos particles so the allotment's open air should reduce this hugely. Sealing with paint (not sure what type) would be an added precaution.

Blue asbestos is the type that rings very loud alarm bells... roofing sheets are white / grey and have a different particle structure (I believe) – the asbestos is harder and bonded together.

An unoccupied (2nd home) bungalow near to me was left without heating through the snow. (Clever).  Pipes / tank froze, burst and brought ceilings down. For the last three days a decontamination unit with two "space suited" workers has been used to remove the ceiling material (I am guess there was some blue asbestos involved in this somewhere - maybe as loft insulation). The workers have been walking in and out of a decontamination unit (shower & air-filters) to protect themselves. (Everyone else’s insurance premiums will help pay the bill I suspect).

Some older schools still have asbestos (but not blue) in them – once used commonly for lavatory cubicle partitions (now removed), in some ceilings and as lining for fire-doors (often added as a skin to make the doors meet fire-burning time regs). Old, large boilers were entombed in asbestos – lots of it. All of these were simply painted to prevent knocks and chips releasing asbestos particles into the air. Of course, as up-dates take place the asbestos is removed… but without the need for decontamination units unless the asbestos is the more dangerous blue type or very soft and likely to send air-borne particles floating around.

The local authority can / should be able to give general advice about the law relating to asbestos as well as recommendations on how to deal with it. Asking a few questions without stating your name / address might be worth while. Better safe than sorry.  ;) Double bagging sounds familiar for some types of asbestos.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 09:17 »
The asbestos will almost certainly be the one whcih can be disposed of by double-bagging, but I would contact your council and ask them for assistance in removing it.  Given the nature of the material, they may even do it without charge.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

woodburner

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 14:00 »
The asbestos will almost certainly be the one whcih can be disposed of by double-bagging, but I would contact your council and ask them for assistance in removing it.  Given the nature of the material, they may even do it without charge.
These days they aren't even asking for double bagging, just keep it damp. I lined the boot of our car with a big sheet of plastic (mattress wrapping) and disposed of it after, just in case. They do ask that you wear protective clothing and dust mask while dealing with it too.

D'oh See my previous post for more details.  :blush:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 14:09 »
Gosh,
I've got a whole run of corregated asbestos roofing as a fence running the whole side to my plot. Is this a danger or is it fine if it is still intact? I wouldn't have the time to paint it, and removal would be somewhat akward. This has been there for quite a few years I would imagine.

As Learner sadi, if it is intact it is fine and I woud not try to remove it myself. It is the fine fibrous particles coming from damaged surfaces that go into the air and can then be breathed in.
If your plot is on a council site, you really shold contatc thme as it is their responsibility to undertake  any necessary work here.

Most asbestos of this sort wouldn't cause too many problems but still has to be listed as 'there'
by site owner.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Asbestos

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 09:24
by RichardA

Page created in 0.812 seconds with 36 queries.