OOhhh am I doing ok???

• 15 Replies

matilda duck

OOhhh am I doing ok???
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:38 »
Ok I've brought up 2 children ...well they are still children at 4 & 8 but thats by the by.  And a dog.  I've gutted 2 houses and put 1 1/2 back together . ........but ducklings??? :blink:   They're growing well and eating and pooing.  They are chirpy and very friendly. 
But I feel I havn't got a clue what i am doing :unsure:

They constantly tip their food and water so end up in a sludgy mess.  This results in me cleaning them out whilst they go for the umpteeth bath.  Is this normal???

I have them in a large tub in the living room so you can imagine the smell ::)  The heat lamp is now only on at night....again is this right?

They are now 2 weeks old so still not ready for the great oudoors as such.  The housing is ready for when they are.....is there anything I should be doing???

I'm sorry to bother you all again but i'd rather ask and get this right :unsure:

Sue33

Re: OOhhh am I doing ok???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:56 »

you're so right Matilda Duck, I've also brought up two kids, although mine aren't kids anymore, one @ 23 working and one @ 21 at Uni - but we've recently got four chooks and I'm all nervous again, wondering if I'm doing the right thing with them, what food, how much water etc....  is one looking listless today, should I give her a cuddle, can't wait to get home from work to see them, spending every evening in the garden with
them .......... my lot think I've fussing and mothering over them cos they're all grown up
now and don't need me!! 

I think you're very brave to be raising them from babies - well done you!  You must have
lots of funs with your brood  :)  Sorry, I'm not much help, someone will surely be along shortly to give you lots of advice - good luck!

Sue

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08 »
If it looks like they are having a whale of a time making the mess then I think you are doing fine!
I have chicks about the same age, destroying the study at the mo - so they will be going out to the nursery shed with an electric hen today or tommorrow, just waiting for hubby to finish building it!

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27 »
This was bath time earlier   sorry for the wobble Alistair was filming  whilst I cleaned them out.   Havn't they grown. 
 They are now running around the living room at the moment which is a bit awkward as it's laminate floor :ohmy:
ENJOY.....

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:34 »

aaaahhh they are so sweet!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:52 »
Ok I've brought up 2 children ...well they are still children at 4 & 8 but thats by the by.  And a dog.  I've gutted 2 houses and put 1 1/2 back together . ........but ducklings??? :blink:   They're growing well and eating and pooing.  They are chirpy and very friendly. 

They constantly tip their food and water so end up in a sludgy mess.  This results in me cleaning them out whilst they go for the umpteeth bath.  Is this normal???

I have them in a large tub in the living room so you can imagine the smell ::)  The heat lamp is now only on at night....again is this right?

They are now 2 weeks old so still not ready for the great oudoors as such.  The housing is ready for when they are.....is there anything I should be doing???

I'm sorry to bother you all again but i'd rather ask and get this right :unsure:

Lovely photo of the ducks.
Make sure you don't put too much water in their pool.  They won't have enough "oil" in their feathers yet, and believe it or not, ducks can drown.  They won't be 100% waterproof yet. I wouldn't leave them with their pool if you go out.  Put a rock/brick in the middle of their water bowl so they can't tip it.  Same for the food.
Hope this helps

Valerie
What sort of ducks are they?
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54 »

p.s. you could put them in the outside housing with a heat lamp etc.  If they're cold, they'll go under it, if they aren't they wont. 

Valerie

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 13:03 »
Valerie
What sort of ducks are they?
[/quote]

They are chocolate indian runners...  We already have a black indian runner ,so maybe white and fawn next?? :nowink:

Vember

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 13:13 »
:lol: Sounds like what's happening this end MD :lol:

Your doing a great job :D

Alistair you did a fab job at filming :D Loved the bit when you asked Guinevere if she'd hit the bath and she did it again as if to say yes I did :lol:

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 16:36 »
i am going to stop reading any posts that contain ducks  :( i wont some but i cant have any .hehehehee  :lol: your guys are sooooooooo cute .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 20:08 »
Making a mess sounds right, that's how you now they are ok! My mate has reared orphan ducklings for years and she likes to see them make a mess. The ones we have are called the disco ducks, sleep during the day and party all night. They look like you're doing everything right to me. Nic.

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 20:24 »
I wonder why our little poultry friends are so good at eliciting the anxiety they do?
Looks like they, and you, are having a whale of a time and I definitely agree that you are very brave to rear them yourself!
Good luck, hope they don't make as much of a mess of your bathroom as my son does. 

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 20:54 »
Making a mess sounds right, that's how you now they are ok! My mate has reared orphan ducklings for years and she likes to see them make a mess. The ones we have are called the disco ducks, sleep during the day and party all night. They look like you're doing everything right to me. Nic.

loving the "Disco Ducks!!!"   :D :D :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 23:19 »
I too have raised 2 kids, cats, dogs hamsters chooks etc! You certainly sound like you doing a fab job there Matilda  :D When i finally convince hubby ducks are a brill idea i will be asking you guys what to do  ;) x
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matilda duck

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:28 »
Hi CL, ducklings are just great.....but b***** H**L do they stink in the house!!!!!!

Our other ducks are allowed to free range in the garden as they are no bother, other than the odd mud bath,ahem!!! ::)  But the chicken only come out at wekends now as the damage they have done to the garden is unrepeatable on this site :ohmy: :(.  Having said that they have a big run and they are happy hens.

I love my ducks and they are such characters.  I think we will have more ducks...not sure weather we would replace the hens when they go.....and to think all my life I have wanted chickens   I was terrified of ducks :lol:

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 28 queries.