Soft Egg / Egg Eating

• 2 Replies

Little Red Hen

Soft Egg / Egg Eating
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:52 »
Around 6 this morning we woke to loud squawking in the hen house.  We got there as fast as we could and found everyone in a panic, a soft shelled egg in two pieces and one of the hens eating it.  It was mayhem.  Please tell me that this soft egg is a one off or only something that happens when hens first start laying.  Now I have Tilly scarfing the egg down and I couldn't get her away from it!  So there's two problems.  The hens get Organic Layer Pellets, water with cider vinegar, Poultry Spice, and there's a container of grit for them, and yesterday free ranged for most of the day.  The hen that I suspected (a Calder Ranger) is back in the nest box again now.  All the hens seem perfectly fine.

Vember

Re: Soft Egg / Egg Eating
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13 »
They normally are just a one off either at the beginning of laying or towards the end. 
You can get them at other times but so long as it's not a regular thing then it's nothing to worry about :) So long as they have plenty of oyster shell to go at then there is no reason why she wont lay a normal egg after :)

As for eating it, mine have eaten the odd soft shelled egg and it hasn't become habit with them, but all hens are different so keep an eye on them  :)

If she continues to lay soft shells it might be worth getting some limestone powder to mix in with feed :)

Sarah :)

Little Red Hen

Re: Soft Egg / Egg Eating
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04 »
Thanks so much for this.  Let's hope her next attempt is a triumph!

xx
soft egg eating?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 21:33
by chickenlady
sad
Soft Eggs and Egg eating PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:09
by otis pony
sad
SOFT EGGS AND EGG EATING HEN PLEASE HELP!!!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 07:06
by wolverine
xx
Eating soft shell eggs!

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 16:29
by moomoos42

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 28 queries.