New house so ...

• 4 Replies

Highfield

New house so ...
« on: April 12, 2009, 21:05 »
We moved in last November but have no idea where he grew his crops other than the brassicas which he left some of and a few leeks. 

Since then we have built raised beds over his existing beds ( i got a bad back) so the surface is about 10" above the previous level, and are filled with bulk compost (bought in from locally)

Now I know about crop rotation so future years wont be a problem but what do you do when you dont' know what was where? And if the beds are now raised is this as vital ??

Advice please - some stuff already planted with lots of finger crossing but need some advice re my spuds which need to go out!

Oh - and how do you get celery to germinate?  I use loads in cooking soups and stuff but it is stubbornly refusing to germinate in my propagator!

Thanks in advance  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: New house so ...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 21:08 »
Don't worry about crop rotation for the sake of one year. It's a long term thing. Start afresh as YOU would like it planning.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 21:21 »
celery is not easy to germinate. :(
It likes heat it, doesn't like to dry out and don't cover the seed..just sort of press/ruffle it into the surface of the compost, it seems to need a bit of light to germinate.
That's how my neighbour told me last year and it worked :)....that's all i can say. Mind you it still took 2 weeks in the propogator :blink:

Good luck with yours

Highfield

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:48 »
Thanks folks - i dug up a couple of old manky spuds in the one bed so will avoid that for this year with mine as I am going to plant normally and then build the raised bed round them - earthing up to fill it. Anything else I will just plant and see what happens!

Keep peering at the celery - is warm and moist but not particularly light so will move the propagator before I give up completely.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 19:03 »
.... so the surface is about 10" above the previous level, and are filled with bulk compost (bought in from locally)

You've already eliminated most problems of other plant 'residues' by adding lots of compost, so as DD says, just start fresh for yourself.

xx
toms in hot house

Started by Little Dibber on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 08:45
by Little Dibber
xx
Two more and I have the full house.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 09:44
by gobs
xx
new house, new garden!

Started by Axe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 17:01
by Axe
xx
New house and garden

Started by ouchy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 15:06
by moonosbailey

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 38 queries.