Am I worrying unnecessarily?

• 3 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Am I worrying unnecessarily?
« on: April 12, 2009, 17:43 »
 :unsure:
We bought our first chooks on Friday. 6 altogether, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Amber Rocket, 1 Blue Comet and 1 Black Comet.
The 2 Rhodies are about 22 weeks old and today we had our first egg, although we don't know which one of the two laid it!  The other 4 chooks are only about 18 weeks so we are pretty certain it wasn't one of them.
This evening one of the Rhodies doesn't seem quite right.  She seems to be very quiet, one minute her tail is down, next it's OK.  Hubby has had a look at her and says she doesn't appear to be egg bound (he can't feel anything and her vent is clear) but he says her crop is full - could this be the problem or am I being an over anxious chook owner? 
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

Vember

Re: Am I worrying unnecessarily?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 17:51 »
Hi Honeysuckle

Welcome to the Hen House :)

When did your o/h check her crop? At this time of day it should be pretty full :) First thing in the morning is the best time to check before food when the crop should be empty :)
Have they been on any long grass or do they have hay for bedding both of these can cause a compacted crop.

The other thing that springs to mind more so as they are only just coming into lay is a soft shelled egg. These are difficult for the girls to pass and makes them look very depressed and not want to move about much, once the egg is out they perk back up :)
Have your girls got grit & oyster shell down for them to peck at?

What do you feed them?
Is she pooing and are they normal?  Link to poo pics here :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

It could just be that moving house is just taking effect a bit like delayed jet lag :lol:

Sarah :D

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 18:17 »
Thanks for your reply.

Hubby has checked the crop this evening and says he'll have another look at her in the morning.  I'm reassured (again by hubby who has a little bit more experience with chickens than I do) that all poo's are fine! I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, she probably just needs to settle in. 

Thanks again.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 18:17 »
Sounds to me like behaviour prior to a soft shell, mine were like that, we had a few months when they had lots of them on and off.  Soon as it's passed she'll be fine again, just keep an eye on her as she's likely ot lay it anywhere, and it will need picking up as soon as, dont want them to get a taste for it :blink:

xx
Am i worrying too much

Started by meterman on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 21:48
by meterman
xx
should i be worrying

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:04
by nicky d
xx
Am I worrying for nothing?

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 08:19
by Sassy
xx
Worrying illness

Started by SuzyandtheBs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:21
by SuzyandtheBs

Page created in 0.951 seconds with 29 queries.