Growing Berries?

• 3 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Growing Berries?
« on: April 12, 2009, 15:44 »
Ok, I've just ordered a whole HEAP of seeds ready for my return from my trip and subsequent rush to the allotment! but I saw some berry plants (Blueberry and Goji) and wondered how easy are they to grow? What size do they get? etc etc...novice boy lol!!  :happy:

Stripey_cat

Re: Growing Berries?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 17:08 »
Blueberries are a PITA unless you're on acid soil (ideally peaty) already, or can grow them in tubs.  They are violent lime-haters, and need lime-free water too, which is another problem in hard water areas, especially if your water-butts tend to run dry in droughts.  Other than that, and the fact that they need to be kept fairly damp (which is a nuisance in containers) they're not too bad - pruning is fairly simple, and keeping them in containers restricts the size a bit anyway.  Not sure about goji, but someone will know!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 17:10 »
I'm not familiar with Goji so I can't help you there. but blueberry size depends on the variety. Some are quite low ground huggers, others can reach 6 ft in the right conditions. The 'wild', small berry types tend to be shorter, the cultivated, large berries are the taller types. google your varieties to determine height and spacing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 17:18 »
If you put 'Goji' into the search box, you'll find there are a few other threads about growing these berries, some might contain further useful info :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 20:25 by Yorkie1 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
growing gogi berries

Started by colinhendy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 07:46
by pawsnclaws
xx
Bay Berries - Can I use them for anything?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
Honey berries

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 15:27
by chrissie B
xx
Goji Berries

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 13:35
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.69 seconds with 29 queries.