potato peelings

• 8 Replies

rubixs

• my son lewis
potato peelings
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:53 »
are potatoe peeling any good for composting.
i'm sure i've read or was told that potatoe peelings are not so good for composting.
or is it that some but not a lot are ok :unsure:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:39 by Ice »
up the villa

gerpsych

Re: potatoe peelings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:23 »
The inly risk of putting the peelings in the compost is the fear of the potato blight fungus. However, this can only survive on living potato material. This might be the case if they sprout into plants. But failing this if they are dud deep into the compost by turning there should be no problem and they are a useful addition to the heap.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: potatoe peelings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:37 »
I put all my veg peelings in no problems, with lots of torn up paper/cardboard to soak up some of the wet from them :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: potato peelings
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:42 »
My Dad used some less than composted 'compost', that included some spud peelings on his roses, and grew a wonderful crop of spuds, only slightly earthed up too -- be warned!!  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rubixs

• my son lewis
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:23 »
ok thanks for the replys.

its just that i've aquired a composting bin & cant wait to get composting plus we eat alot of potatoes in our house & was worried in case to much was bad.

i've read around & know a good balance of greens & browns is the best way to go.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 16:56 »
The peels are OK so long as they are healthy, but you can spread diseases like scab or assorted rots.  If you put your composter where it will get very hot in the summer this reduces the risk, but unless it is reliably up into scalding temperatures whenever you turn it it's not 100% sterilised.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 17:26 »
The peels are OK so long as they are healthy, but you can spread diseases like scab or assorted rots.  If you put your composter where it will get very hot in the summer this reduces the risk, but unless it is reliably up into scalding temperatures whenever you turn it it's not 100% sterilised.
Sorry i don't understand your reasoning. ??? As i see it everything in the bin is rotting..that's what it's supposed to do :) Why would it need to be sterilised?
Nothing on the plot is sterilised, certainly not manure or compost, but we all add
the stuff! so i don't see the need to start worrying about it :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 17:36 »
Scab or assorted rots shouldn't be going into your compost in the first place as its only an incubation container for more of the same. Other peels, all of mine included, simply get tossed into the bin and soon covered by an assortment of 'stuff'. So far, no peels and no volunteer potatoes, just lovely black stuff.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 20:19 »

Do you mean hot enough to kill weedseeds etc?

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 29 queries.