Should they look like this?

• 16 Replies

mattyslsot

Should they look like this?
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:35 »
Pics of my tomato seedlings and cuc seedlings, I know I will have to start the cucs off again but hey.

They are in the propogator but I have now taken the lid off as the cucs were touching the top.  Should I put the lid on and leave it on?
Cucs.JPG
Toms.JPG

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Should they look like this?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38 »
They have got far too warm/not enough light from what I can see..dont put the lid back on they dont need it.  I think they have gone too far and you'll need to sow again,  :(  but put foil around two sides to reflect the light to see if they buck up.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mattyslsot

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40 »
that will be the same for the gem and flame lettuce then.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:45 by peapod »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:44 »
Lettuce doesnt need a propagator, they dont mind the cool weather (as long as no frosts) Ive planted mine direct (also gem) in a container that will get bunged inside if frosts are due

Try the foil for the toms...you never know!

mattyslsot

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50 »
Is it too late to start over again?  What container do you use for the lettuce?  Will u sow them into the ground later on?

God im so dodo at this gardening lark :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:54 »
It's not too late to start over.

Not everything needs a propagator as peapod says. Over use of them leads to disappointment as you've find out.

AS SOON AS the seedlings appear, take them out or at least take the top off. From the number of similar posts this year, they seem to be doing more harm than good.

I've never used one. Plastic bags have never let me down!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:11 »
Is it too late to start over again?  What container do you use for the lettuce?  Will u sow them into the ground later on?

God im so dodo at this gardening lark :(

You arent dodo its all a learning curve! My containers are the big long ones from wilkos about 2 ft long and a foot deep. I direct sow in them with mixed lettuce leaves and other lettuce at home. I wont transplant them later but will have a different variety growing on the plot

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:14 »
I start a few lettuce seed in a 3" pot in the cold greenhouse.

I then prick out about 24 into a large seed tray. Grown them on, then harden them off & plant them out.

When I prick them out I sow a few more a matter of routine to keep sucessions going.

mattyslsot

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:35 »
The seedlings above have been like that for about 2 weeks now.  Is that right?

sssb

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:40 »
i had same prob last year, cured this by removing plants from propogater as soon as they broke surface.  good luck

mattyslsot

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57 »
Did you repot them in 3 inch pots?

Small Potatoes

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36 »
do those tomatoes really need to be started over again? i always find that when you repot toms you can plant them really deeply (ie. burying everything up to the seed leaves) and they just chuck out more roots...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39 »
Thats true SP, but the stems would probably need to be stronger than the photo..hence the foil advice. Sowing more while theres still time would mean theres definately a crop to look forward to

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 12:41 »
do those tomatoes really need to be started over again? i always find that when you repot toms you can plant them really deeply (ie. burying everything up to the seed leaves) and they just chuck out more roots...
that is what I have done before and to some this year... The problem I had last year and learned my lesson, is to take the lid of as soon as they come through, as they get weak and very limp. So much so that I left mine under cover for 3 weeks and soon as I took the lid off, they all shrivelled up and died within an hour!!

sssb

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:53 »
germinate in 3 inch pots and remove as soon as they show through that way no re potting

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 40 queries.