Mushroom Kits

• 24 Replies

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:38 »
Just wondering if anyone can help.

Bought a mushroom kit for Hubby and started it off following instructions, but we've only ended up with one massive mushroom, nothing else appears to be happening, should we abandon it or keep it going ?

It says that you get several "flushes" of them, but not sure if we've got a duff kit. Mixed the casing peat really well, by the way.  Has anyone elso had any experience with these kits.

The one we got looked great, didn't get a taste though coz he scoffed if all, and after I let him share our first chooks egg aswell !!!!!

Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

robgodfrey

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:05 »
You have not said how long you have waited. The appearance of mushrroms can be effected by temp and humidity too. So if the recent cold weather has affected the bed, production will slow down.
I'd give it a week or two yet.

agapanthus

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:06 »
Wow Kerry....a fine looking beast :) Sorry can't help with your question, have never grown them but will be interested to read the replies :)

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:09 »
He will be pleased you think so. The mushrooms not bad either  :lol:  :lol:

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:13 »
Quote from: "robgodfrey"
You have not said how long you have waited. The appearance of mushrroms can be effected by temp and humidity too. So if the recent cold weather has affected the bed, production will slow down.
I'd give it a week or two yet.

Hi Rob, Thanks for your help. They're in a box indoors, and have been going for about 4 weeks now, but no signs of anything else since this one last week. I'll keep them going then.

Ta,

Kerry.

agapanthus

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:28 »
Quote from: "Kerry"
He will be pleased you think so. The mushrooms not bad either  :lol:  :lol:

:oops:  :oops:  Am truly shocked !! :shock:  :shock:  :wink:  :lol:

WG.

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:35 »
Quote from: "Kerry"
 They're in a box indoors, and have been going for about 4 weeks now, but no signs of anything else since this one last week. I'll keep them going then.

Flushes can be 10-14 days apart - even more if temp/humidity are not to their liking.

Mrs Golf advises that flushes can be MUCH more frequent in women over 45 years of age.  :wink:

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40 »
are they in the dark? are they warm enough ?  (  in an airing cupboard ) are they moist enough ? are you pouring water on them or using a sprayer ?
still alive /............

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 11:44 »
Hi Muntjac,

Made the lid up as per instructions to keep them dark. Not in the airing cupboard, but a warm corner of room, and watering with one of those little fine spray things that you put on the end of an empty pop bottle.

Will now try the airing cupboard for a few days and see if this helps.

Ta,

Kerry.

WG.

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:50 »
Darkness is not essential; it merely gives whiter mushrooms.

muntjac

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 11:57 »
on the box it says to shove em int dark WG old chap im just checkin the lady is doin whatever she can to get some mushies . besides mushies grow in the dark at night cos the suns gone to bed n thats why its dark cos my mommy told me .n when the mushies has growed the fairies have parties  :D

fluffypebble

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 11:58 »
Have you been eating them mushrooms again?  You know the happy ones  :lol:
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

WG.

Mushroom Kits
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
on the box it says to shove em int dark WG old chap im just checkin the lady is doin whatever she can to get some mushies . besides mushies grow in the dark at night cos the suns gone to bed n thats why its dark cos my mommy told me .n when the mushies has growed the fairies have parties  :D

Be that as it may, young man, I was merely relating practical first-hand experience.  I was picking 50kg per day from beds which were not kept in constant darkness.  Mushrooms grow very quickly & most folks believe them to grow only at night 'cos they look so much bigger when they check them in the morning.

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Mushroom Kits
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 12:04 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "muntjac"

Be that as it may, young man, I was merely relating practical first-hand experience.  I was picking 50kg per day from beds which were not kept in constant darkness.  Mushrooms grow very quickly & most folks believe them to grow only at night 'cos they look so much bigger when they check them in the morning.

Now now chaps, end of round one !! :lol:  :lol:

xx
mushroom kits

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 12:39
by emptydraw
xx
Mushroom Kits

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2017, 22:20
by 3759allen
xx
mushroom kits - how are they all going?

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 12:45
by agapanthus
xx
ph testing kits

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 15:04
by Salmo

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 29 queries.