Feed prices and sheds for henhouses?

• 5 Replies

gavin9900

Feed prices and sheds for henhouses?
« on: April 02, 2009, 20:16 »
Hi all,

I have been offered 10 hens because their currant keeper doesn't want them anymore. How much should i expect to pay to feed 10 chickens in a month? I originally only ever expected to have 3 hens so the 4'x4' henhouse i'm building will have to be sold and replaced with my spare shed. How do i make a shed into a comfortable henhouse for them, are there any special tricks of the trade?
If it makes any difference the chickens are fairly large and 2 years old (RIR i think but i'm not sure).
Also how many eggs should i expect from ten hens?

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Re: Feed prices and sheds for henhouses?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 20:35 »
Hi I am new to chicken keeping but am learning all the time and this forum is really the right place to ask ...they are great  :D

I feed my chickens Marriges Farmyard Layers Pellets I pay aroung £6.50 for a 20klo sack which last me about 2 months (I Think  :blink:) they are eating alot more at the moment as they are laying lots of lovely eggs.

If your chickens are 2 years old plus I would have thought they would not lay that many eggs, I am not an expert though on thid and somebody with more experience will be along soon.  :)

Trina
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 20:42 »
firstly your spare shed will be fine thats enough room for 10 birds , all u have to do is add a perch for them to roost on of a night and add a good clean deep bedding of straw or shavings. u can make your own nest boxes out of old wood which i have done or something even easier is if u have get a bit ply thats say   a foot high  u can use that to block of one end of the shed it will be dark behind there an the girls will love it . my shed is 8' 8 i think an i trianagled one corner of an my girls love it to bits .

u may be paying up to £15 a month for feed for 10 birds but that all depends on how much u feed per day , the only way u can work out your cost is to buy one bag an see how long it lasts for .i probably pay £44 a month to feed 17 birds , mine have layers pellets , mash, an corn but cost of feed is different for everyone .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

alotment shed

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 20:46 »
make some boxes up for them just 2 foot long by 1 foot wide . put shelves up in side and some bitts of batten up or somethink you can use as perches and  thats the job done ony put straw in the boxes tho . and cut a hole in side of your shed. if you want to do it verry nicely . you can make a exturnal box for them but to be honest it wont make any diffrence to there laying it will just cost you more money to  make .

theclampitts

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 00:18 »
Hi, we have six hens, mainly warrens, and I worked out that we spend about £10 a month on them.  This is for shavings, layers pellets and corn.  We give them a few handfuls of corn in the afternoon when we are about.  They all lay every day despite the warrens being ex-bat and apparently past their best.  They would be nearly two years old now.  They live in a shed conversion and are fine.  Good luck to you.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 18:20 »
If you live in the Cleveland, Middlesbrough area, there is a great ark for sale, almost new, on eBay, only just over an hour to go to bid/buy at the moment it's at £50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260385351111&ru=http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/260385351111_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsopZ1QQkeywordZchickenQ20coopQQoriginZhttpQ3aQ2fQ2fallotmentQ2eorgQ2eukQQtestZGadgetQ5fKWQQfviZ1

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

xx
feed prices go through the roof

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 11, 2007, 18:26
by muntjac
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
Converting sheds

Started by meltonmort on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 23:15
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 29 queries.