help needed for strawberry plants

• 3 Replies

philskin

help needed for strawberry plants
« on: April 02, 2009, 13:05 »
Before the winter i moved my new strawberry plants into the cold frame thinking it was the best thing for them now i find that i was wrong ( lesson learn t ) can you please look at the pics and advise me if i can move them outside without hindering this years lush growth or shall i just leave them in the frame with the lid open thanks  phi

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 13:10 by philskin »
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

paintedlady

Re: help needed for strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 14:02 »
They'll have been molly coddled in the cold frame so maybe leave them in there for now but keep the lid open during the day to start hardening them off (and if they flower, it'll give access to the bees).  You might want to put them into pots at the same time so that when you do eventually move them into the big outdoors, their root disturbance should be minimal

I wouldn't have thought there was a problem leaving them in there, and you should get a lovely early crop of strawberries (if I recall in the Victorian Kitchen garden, they would put the strawberry plants in hot beds within a cold frame to do precisely that)  The cold frame can easily be netted off to stop the blackbirds from nicking the fruit  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

philskin

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 14:13 »
Thanks for that answer i was hoping there wouldnt be a problem its just that i read on one of the forums on here that in cold frames its an ideal place to cause some sort of mold that rots the strawberries

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 14:17 »
You're right, Phil. Colframes aren't the best place for bringing on summer strawberries. They are super sensitive to damp which leads to fungus problems. Kept that lid open and netted as strawbs are naturally a cold hardy plant.

xx
Strawberry plants advice needed please

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 15:38
by Trillium
xx
advice urgently needed on strawberry plants?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 11:51
by cawdor2001
xx
Strawberry help needed

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 20:01
by carlotta
xx
strawberry planting help and advice needed please

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:12
by philskin

Page created in 1.657 seconds with 28 queries.