Soil contamination: should I be worried?

• 5 Replies

rogersbottle

« on: March 20, 2007, 20:10 »
The vegetable plot that I inherited with the house that comes with my job (not strictly an allotment, but pretty much like one) came with the refuse of a large domestic bonfire (furniture, plastic, carpet) and a whole load of assorted rubbish (shoes, plastic bags, cloth, bits of metal) which I have been slowly clearing.  I'm wondering whether I should be worried about the potential contamination this might have caused to the soil and whether my veggies-to-be will be dodgy-to-eat.  Does anyone out there have experience of this problem and be willing to offer of their wisdom?

I oh-so-want to grow, even if it does mean battle with the rabbits (of which there are hordes here).

WG.

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 20:31 »
Hi RB and welcome.  If the rabbits die then your cabbages are poisonous!  Seriously though, the rabbits will be a big problem and you will want to look at fencing off your plot to keep them out.  No other solution comes close.

As far as contamination goes, I'd say the chances of problems are very very slim.

Annie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 20:43 »
We had to clear a large area in the garden used similarly cleared skip loads of rubbish and bonfire waste  including old hinges nails,half burnt paint tins etc.The only dodgy areas had old car oil  filters  and leaking plastic containers which also seemed to have contained changed oil,we dug this patch a little deeper,bunged down concrete and put a greenhouse on it.We``ve gardened here for a few years and we`re not dead yet.I also think you will have the most problem with rabbits,unless of course you eat them!

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 22:45 »
clean the soil as best you can ,riddle it or pass an old stereo speaker magnet over the soil to remove nails etc . then add some good manure and any old growbags you can lay ur hands on .. fence of the plot to kep rabbits off .if you can get a hold of old creosote this wil help deter them.use an old water can and make the spray about 6 inch wide . if you know anyone who has ferrets go along and ask for the poop n straw when they clean them out .mix this in a  big bucket with a gallon of water and paint it along the boundaries .do it once a month and this should also send the rabbits elsewhere
still alive /............

rogersbottle

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 23:42 »
Thanks for all the advice.  I can see I've got my work cut out (with the rabbits, if nothing else).

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 23:43 »
a decent air rifle and permission to shoot em werks as well :wink:

xx
soil contamination help!?

Started by Mirri on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 09:53
by allotmentor
clip
Is this from manure contamination?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2021, 20:09
by Yorkie
xx
possible lead contamination

Started by Ralphy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 19:33
by azubah
xx
lead contamination

Started by sladefungus on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 20:14
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 30 queries.