New to hens... 5 weeks in and some very dodgy droppings. Any help welcomed!

• 22 Replies

bob-the-chick

Hi all...

We've always fancied keeping hens - both as a 'Good Life' type thing and to know that the eggs I'm eating come from happy hens...

So 5 weeks ago after a trip to Chelford Market we ended up bidding on some Silver Sussex (and on the spur of the moment took both cages of 5 birds  :D ) So from 0 - 10 in a matter of minutes.

They were 17/18 weeks when we bought them and so are now 22/23 weeks old and not an egg to be seen between them. They've a large run (I think - comments welcome - picture attached) and seemingly are very content birds.

However I have discovered an problem with one (or more) of the birds in that it/they have worms. After a bit of trawling the net and coming across this site, I can compare the droppings to some degree with some beautifully pictured in your 'Chicken's Poo' section. Nice, by the way!

However, I am concerned that the droppings I have found not only have worms but also have 'red stuff' in them.  Stringy 'red stuff' at that. So I'm a bit concerned...

Reading up I need to treat them with Flubenvet - but do I need to be concerned with the 'red stuff' or is this normal with hens that have worms?

They were bought as 'vaccinated'/'treated' birds by the way so should I also by talking to Chelford and taking some issue with the breeder/original owner?

Thanks in advance all... Hopefully the attached images won't put you off your dinner too much.  ???
_MG_4412_2.JPG
_MG_4413.JPG
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 17:18 by bob-the-chick »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hi Bob - Welcome :D

From your poo picture (which I'll pinch for the poo guide) what you see is probably bits if the lining of the digestive tract which are ocasionally shed.  It's nothing to worry about :)

bob-the-chick

Thank you :-). Honestly very much appreciated. I didn't think there'd be that much of a learning curve with chucks. Clearly wrong there :-)

Am I correct in thinking that the worm issue (not pictured in my post - although can be supplied upon request  :blink: ) could be the caused of the lack of eggs? Or would they still be considered too young to lay?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
They are probably a bit young for laying yet.

What makes you think they have worms ?

bob-the-chick

I saw around 5 or 6 'worm-like' objects in some other droppings in the hutch. Matched them just wonderfully to one of your poo photo's under the title 'Worms'!.

Not the most enjoyable afternoons browsing but one of my more productive :-)!. Long thin white worm like things within their droppings. Quite unpleasant!

This Flubenvet is the right stuff for worms I take it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 17:47 by bob-the-chick »

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Hi Bob

It does sound as if they have worms.  It would do them good to worm with Flubivent now and that should set them up well for when they start laying later.  Get all the things that can drag them down done now,  then they will be fitter for production.  I would give them a good looking at for bugs and crawlies too as if they were not wormed they may have underlaying problems hybernating too.  Welcome to our mad world of chicken keeping - more stress than kids sometimes but very rewarding.
mrs.ploppy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

This Flubenvet is the right stuff for worms I take it?

Absolutely !

bob-the-chick

Thank you :-)

I need to really ask about the nesting boxes as well if that's OK...

There are three nesting boxes presently within the main hutch (coup). And these are for all 10 hens. (we were originally only planning on 5!)  I've not been in a hurry to create more as none of them are laying (Aunt Sally suggesting that they may be a little while longer yet).

So,
Will it be apparent to me if I need to increase the number of boxes? (I have the smaller wooden hut (shown in the picture) which is currently used as a food store that I can use).

And when (if at all) should I start using the 'china egg in the nesting boxes'  trick?

Any more suggestions, as many as you like, will be welcomed. Including advice on the run that they have. I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants here! :-)

Thank you!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Three nesting boxes should be enough for 10 hens !

You can put a couple of fake eggs or glof balls in a nest box now if you want to.  It shows the girls where to put theirs when the time comes  ::)

bob-the-chick

Golf balls??? I'll get right onto it. :-) Thanks!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Our lot do them all different times of day and they all use the same box.  Don't ask why as that chickens for you!  I have 11 and 3 boxes are fine.  

bob-the-chick

Well you've been great. Thank you. The birds aren't dying - which is a bonus and a slight weight off my mind - and I don't need to return them to market for being 'underperformers'. And neither do I need to get busy with the saw. I'm not much of a DIY man to be honest so that's a real plus :-)

I'll let you know when they've started to lay. Allegedly, I may be in for a more eggs than I can handle. We'll see!

Thanks again!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
When they all come into lay you should be getting around 6-8 a day form 10 birds.  They will produce much less to start with, then peek, then go down again and maybe go off lay for the winter months when short daylight hours.  Also less when in molt.  Out of my 11 girls, I get  about 5-8 a day at the moment.  Some are young birds and some older.  The younger ones lay each day, the older each to every other day.  Hope this helps!

bob-the-chick

I think I maybe should have found this site prior to getting the birds :-) !  Thank you though. I am certainly far better informed now than I was earlier this afternoon...

So with all birds being young, at peak, should I honestly be expected the whopping 60 - 70 eggs a week? My next post will be for recipes :-)

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
I would calculate on the lower side and bare in mind some days you may only get 2 or3 then other days they may all lay.  Never had a full house yet!  And with age you will get less.  Start collecting egg boxes now.  I am forever running out.

xx
New Hens - Do I really have to keep them in or 2 weeks?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 15:09
by gsc
xx
After 2 weeks the hens are still not friends

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 12:00
by Oliveview
xx
New hens not laying but its been 6 weeks!

Started by litefunky1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 14:40
by evie2
xx
Newbie, had hens 3 weeks, advice please

Started by sirius951 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 19:18
by Sassy

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 30 queries.