blue berries

• 14 Replies

sclarke624

blue berries
« on: March 25, 2009, 22:20 »
If no rain water is available what do you water blueberries with.  Obviously not a problem at this time of year.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: blue berries
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 22:29 »
i would probably make sure that you keep the rain water as long as possible to water them with - i had a blueberry bush inside just now - i hadn't got any rain water so i watered it for 3 days with tap water and the leaves curled. it's back to normal now with rain water, but it was a bit scary.

spongebob

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 22:49 »

try filling a bucket with tap water and leave it out side for a couple of days before using it

thats what a friend told me to do if i ran out of rain water

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 23:46 »
so i watered it for 3 days with tap water and the leaves curled

that was quick the leaves curling I mean, I'm defo gonna collect some rain water.  I did have quite a lot but the sun and sea wind must of evaporated it.  I'll use the bucket with the lid on.  And if the worse comes to the worse leave a bucket outside.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:23 »
A bucket of tap water left outside allows any chlorine to 'disapate' and the water then becomes neutral rather than alkaline.
I'm putting in a lot of new blueberry bushes this summer and already have plans for several large water butts just to water the berries with.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:01 »
I can't remember where I found it but I have a note about my blue berries that says:-

"Water with rainwater or tap water left overnight with one teaspoon of vinegar in."

No doubt someone can let us know if this is going to help.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:26 »
I have vague memories of "sequestering" compound for accasional use on ailing ericaceous plants.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50 »
A bucket of tap water left outside allows any chlorine to 'disapate' and the water then becomes neutral rather than alkaline.

Chlorine to purify water is (IIRC) hypochlorous acid; chlorinated water is slightly acidic.  Certainly round here, tap water is alkaline because of dissolved minerals (mostly calcium carbonate and calcium hydrogen carbonate).   Neither will react readily with oxygen (in theory you could use atmospheric carbon dioxide to neutralise them, but it would take *ages*), so leaving a bucket overnight will do nothing to help correct alkaline ("hard") tap water.  Some plants are sensitive to the chlorine, though, so stale tap-water is better for them.

Boiling will reduce alkalinity a little, but not enough to make really hard water safe for ericaceous plants.  Distilled water would do, but isn't cost effective!  Bottled water tends to be very hard/alkaline anyway, as it tastes better and most traditional springs are very mineral heavy.  You're left with trying to add acid, either vinegar or commercial iron-based mixes.  Neither is terribly effective long-term, but will do to keep your plants alive in a drought.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11 »
I've heard of leaving a bucket of tap water with a couple of tea bags in overnight to make the water suitable for lime-hating plants.  I haven't tried it myself, though - my garden soil is already acidic and I haven't got anything in containers that needs special treatment.  I'm thinking of blueberries in pots at some point, though, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 10:34 »
I grew blueberry bushes for many years in the states and can say that they need acidic water, and so I second the suggestion of adding a wee bit of vinegar to the water.  They also need acidic soil.  If your leaves are curled and browning on the ends, that's low humidity.    Mist several times a day with regular tap water.  I fed mine with tomato feed in April  and then again once they set fruit.  They can take severe weather quite well if protected.  It was not unusual to have several feet of snow where I lived.  I would pile straw up around them and then wrap them in open burlap bags.  I would have taken the protectional stuff off by now, though, to harden them off some.  Lovely, easy to care for bushes.  Never need pruning, insects seemed to leave them alone.  Birds had a field day though, eating the fruit whole!  Who could blame them?   In the end, I had to put up a net cage around them!  One of mine became spent at 20 years!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50 »
I grew blueberry bushes for many years in the states and can say that they need acidic water, and so I second the suggestion of adding a wee bit of vinegar to the water.  They also need acidic soil.  If your leaves are curled and browning on the ends, that's low humidity.    Mist several times a day with regular tap water. 

i like the vinegar idea - i was going to add lemon juice, but i was worried i'd poison it...

it could have been humidity - i've put it in a room with a storage heater, but it was on the windowsill and the windows don't get condensation, so that makes sense now. the leaves didn't get to the stage of browning, but that's probably because i drowned the soil when i got the rainwater (dr hessayon said they like it wet).

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 13:04 »
I've read elsewhere they are hardy and not really for indoors, and that they last about 20 years.

I'm doomed if we don't get any rain water unless the vinegar method works as our water here is revolting, I can't drink it, think it is very hard.  If you leave it for an hour it tastes even more disgusting like a mouthful of chalk.  I drink bottle water much to my mother in laws disgust but it tastes a hell of a lot better.  I was quite happy to drink it when we lived in thornton heath croydon could leave it all night and tasted the same.  One of my OH aunts used to say the water in bognor regis was the only thing that made her stomach feel better she had stomach cancer s'pose it lined it.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 14:33 »
i've only got one inside - i've got two outside: it's like an experiment to see what happens.

our water's really really hard, too: you only have to make one cuppa with the kettle and it starts to lime up.  we have a brita filter kettle - the filter is on top of the kettle, rather than a separate jug.  it's really really good and i wouldn't be without it now!

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 20:03 »
Off the topic ever so slightly, but i made yoghurt and cheese recently and was googling to find out what i could do with whey (excess liquid). 

Seems that blueberries love it.
Liv.

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 22:07 »
Thats interesting Livvy and not really of topic at all, I can say that as I started the topic off anyway.  I make easiyo yoghurt and my own without the packets but with the same equipment.  I know that whey is apparently full of B12.

xx
Blue berries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 19:25
by Trillium
xx
any one had success with blue berries

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 22:22
by Ema
xx
Planting Blue berries

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 21:51
by waddecar
xx
Bay Berries - Can I use them for anything?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 15:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.859 seconds with 36 queries.