More top soil

• 3 Replies

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
More top soil
« on: March 24, 2009, 22:33 »
Hi guys, we have been very busy rearranging the veg plot, work is in full swing but I need your advice.

The old paths and boarders have been lifted and are waiting to be put in their new positions. This is leaving lots of holes/rows about 6" deep. Now to fill the spaces. I have not dug over all of the plot yet and a few weeds need to be lifted. We are digging a very big hole about 1m 80cm deep so as you can see lots of surplus soil will be on hand. I am not sure about two things.

Firstly should I dig over the whole plot then add the soil. We are looking at using a lot of the soil to level the area and raise it. We probablly want to raise the whole area by about 5"to 8"

Secondly how much of the soil can I use. So far its of varying quality but at a foot deep looks OK. Is it a case of it is looks useable go with it or don't use after digging so far down due to quality.

After all I want fantastic veg. I am able to mix manure in where suiltable so can improve the structure some what.

Any comments are very welcome.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: More top soil
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 18:51 »
Use anything that looks half decent.........obviously don't use gungy clay or solid chalk.
Spread it all about and break it up fork/dig it into the original top soil as you go over the whole plot.
Add more manure anywhere it looks to be a bit heavy.
and add a sprinkle over of blood fish and bone each year untill soil is up to a good standard (depends on how much manure you can add)

Well, that's what i would do anyway :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 19:09 »
I think this will be better off in GYO, than "Chatting", so hang on ......
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 19:57 »
It's unlikely that the soil will be any good much deeper than 12". Someitmes you do get more where a plot has been double dug for years, but a plough only goes 12" down and this is the normal depth of topsoil on land that was once ploughed fields. Often though, gardens have only a thin layer of topsoil over builders mess.
Digging down deeper as you are going to do will provide useful information on your soil. In particular it will be easier to tell just what depth of soil really is topsoil.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
soil

Started by pod on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 11:33
by Dilly Dom
xx
Top Soil

Started by Knight Family on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 02:44
by Knight Family
xx
re-dug the soil

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 14:22
by Christine
xx
what soil should I use?

Started by piskieinboots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 38 queries.