Yard or Allotment?

• 8 Replies

lina

Yard or Allotment?
« on: March 24, 2009, 20:04 »
Hi - need some advice. Want to start keeping chickens. We have small back garden (much loved and used with herbs, borders etc) we also have large underused allotment about 1/2 mile away.

What would chickens prefer? Human company and attention but restricted space to roam in our backyard - or spacious accomodation on the allotment but no-one to keep an eye on them during the day / night? There are potentially foxes and cats at both locations.

Any ideas?

alotment shed

Re: Yard or Allotment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 20:53 »
well if your allotment is secure then i would go for allotment gaver as much tin roofing as you can off empty plots on the allotment then make it more secure it makes it all worth going down the allotment then :). plus if your haveing a good few chickens your next door nabohur at home may not like the smell of chicken pooooooo   .

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 20:54 »
how many times a day do  u go to the allotment , u could get away with keeping them there but u would have to build a very very secure run and house for them an that could be expensive. i built a run etc on one of my plots an although the site is on the back of my garden its still at least 150- 200 feet away from the house , this cost me in total of about £400 but so far i aint had one probelm although i know the foxes hang around has they have left little packages for me  :lol: :lol:.

how big is yourr back yard ,u could always fence of your herbs etc.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 21:04 »
We keep our hens on an allotment about a mile away and I go down there three times a day. We have foxes so choose to shut them up at night. I don't see it as a chore but fit other stuff around it. I would go for more space for your hens as more room means fewer problems. Nic

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 21:47 »
Hi lina. Welcome :)

What space could you give them in your backyard ?  That'll probably be the deciding factor.

But as nicchick says, they need a certain level of commitment wherever they are. Hopfully not a problem. :)

Rob 8)

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 21:59 »
Just 1 word of warning they will need at least 2 visits per day 365 days a year more in winter when water freezes 2 hours after refilling as it has this winter. also if ill etc a stand in may be required this has stoped me from moving some of my hens onto the lotty as b4 Christmas both me and oh had flu it was a struggle to go out back to water/feed i would not have made the lotty  

lina

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 22:55 »
Thanks folks for all yr helpful comments

Our backyard is 4m x 14m so I could set aside and fence off the bottom 2m x 3m permanantly for chickens. The idea about raising the hutch / coop thingy above the ground to give more room to run underneath is v sensible. Does 2-3 birds sound about right for that space? We could let them free range a bit too when someone is there to keep watch.

Luckily our neighbours all keep birds or dogs so I don't think they would mind!

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 09:16 »
Hi again Lina.

If you could give them a wee bit more room it would be great, but 2m x 3m is just about enough for 2 or 3 birds with a run round the lawn occsionally. The more permanent room you give them, the happier and healthier they'll be.

What sort of surface is it ?
And are your boundaries secure enough ?
Could next door's dogs get in if they really tried ?
If you think like a chicken and examine the space from your side, then think like a fox or dog and examine it from outside, you can get a feel for if it's right.
And keep asking questions  :)

Rob  8)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:26 »
and give them lots of levels to play on in that space, too.  ours have a table, a small table, 2 shelves (or differing heights), ladders and a windowsill (it's in a wall) as well as a tyre and a few bits of old concrete ballustrade.... as well as the roof of the coop!
(also the table gives them somewhere to shelter under when it's rainy)

xx
Allotment Act, Can anyone help,

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 16:33
by karlooben
xx
I found these in my allotment the other day.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 19:46
by mercury
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by snow white on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 23:46
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Chickens on the allotment

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 24, 2006, 00:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 27 queries.